Removing Old Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Craftycas

Reaction score
Hi all! I sure hope you can help! As always, many surprises in what I thought was going to be a simple floor tile job in our main bathroom. Removed old tiles, much rotted subfloor between tub and shower. Took that down to the joists by chopping and hacking out the ply.

Here's the question: How do you remove a toilet flange? :confused: It appears to be a metal flange attached to copper soil pipe (3"). Looks like it was sweated on. Ok, we can unsweat it, but then how would we reattach it after the new ply sub floor and tile is layed??? No access from below unless we remove the ceiling in the downstairs bathroom (really don't want to go there).

Thanks!

Craftycas

Reaction score
Got the flange off!

We did end up unsweating the flange. Installed 2 layers of sub floor, made a 1/2 inch ply circle cutout to go under the flange (didn't want to drill into the new tile floor), and sweat the flange back on (drilled a slanted hole on each side of the flange to insert the solder through). Hopefully all will hold.

Thanks for the advice. Had it "solved" by the time your post came through. Hopefully smoother sailing from here!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks