Removing old floor drain from cast iron pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

cconlee

Reaction score
I'm remodeling a basement bathroom. When I took out the old tile shower, I found out that it was connected to a cast iron floor drain with an iron pipe glued to a 1 1/2 PVC pipe glued to a 2" PVC pipe. The only thing supporting the drain pipe to the floor drain was a little morter. I need to remove the old cast iron floor drain so I can install a 2" PVC trap and relocate the drain for a new shower. I removed the basement concrete around the old cast iron floor drain and found where it is connected to the 2" cast iron pipe. The floor drain is connected to the pipe with a rubber compression gasket. what is the best way to remove the floor drain and rubber gasket from the main pipe? What should I use to connect the cast iron pipe to a new 2" PVC pipe? Also, do I need to use a special PVC pipe for "under the slab" installation or will Sch 40 PVC work? Thanks in advance!!

A picture can be viewed at:
http://www.dana.edu/cconlee

Last edited:

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes ss is stainless steel .

As Mark said ,make sure that you cut the pipe behind the hub.Also,do not attempt to cut the pipe on a fitting,,,,it's got to be a piece of pipe.

Sch 40 pvc is just fine for underground .

cconlee

Reaction score
My first thought of the project (I know very little about plumbing, just enough to get into ALOT of trouble) was to cut the 2" off and glue on a show drain with a 2" to 1 1/2 reducer. Then I decided to do it the right way running 2" all the way. So what you are seeing is just the 1 1/2 PVC that is connected to a pipe setting in the drain hole. Was it common to run a shower drain into the floor drain at one time?? My local hardware guy told me to "just let the water run into the floor drain from the shower pan." Also, how does a person find out about local residential plumbing codes? Is there a book?

cconlee

Reaction score
rust on inside of pipe

I rented the snap tool today and it took less that 2 minutes to cut the pipe. THANK YOU ALL!! when the pipe was cut though, there was rusty stuff inside. to describe it would be like rust leaves???? Also the botton of the inside pipe had rust buildup on the inside of the pipe. The pipe looks good though. Any thoughts on what this is? Can I flush it out, or do I need a chemical to get rid of the buildup?
again, thanks in advance!!

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
cc,

That's very common in cast iron . Scrape out what you can with a screwdriver or small trowel then don't worry about it . Make your connection and pipe away !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks