Removing old Delta spout / diverter

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by billwil, Sep 9, 2007.

1. billwil

billwil New Member

Shower enclosure in guest bath has old Delta system (20 years old?) with two handle controls and spout with diverter. Would like to replace spout (along with showerhead) but it does not appear to be threaded. If compression fit, how do I remove? There is small opening at base near wall that allows access to pipe but there is not a set screw in it. Suggestions appreciated - thanks.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Delta has a design where a threaded adapter is soldered to the copper pipe, then the spout just screws onto that adapter. Are you sure you can't unscrew it?
  3. billwil

billwil New Member

Jimbo - I've turned it with some force and didn't seem to budge but I didn't want to over-do it. Is it most likely threaded?
  4. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

Strap wrench.
  5. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

whom ever installed it could have cranked it hard, also make sure there is no caulking holding it at the wall. Most tub spouts are attached with a nipple or copper male adapter. If there is no set screw the installer cranked it. I've had some very difficult ones in the past, thought i would rip out the whole valve.