Removing kitchen sink drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by angieb12603, Dec 31, 2006.

1. angieb12603

angieb12603 New Member

I need help! (obviously!) I am trying to replace a kitchen sink drain and it won't budge!!!:mad: I have managed to detach the pipe from the drain but the problem is the nut, or whatever it is called, that attaches the drain to the sink. When I try to turn the nut the whole drain turns. I have tried WD-40 and soaking it in CLR. I would much appreciate any suggestions even if it means removing the sink it self so I have more room to work on it.

Thanks in advance!
    AngieB
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You might try using the handles on a pair of channel lock pliers through the top of the basket to hold the basket from turning when you turn the nut. It would take a helper to hold the pliers, probably with a screwdriver or other bar. This will ruin the basket, but if you're replacing it anyway, no loss. Yes, you can remove the sink now, but you'll still be faced with the same problem. At least now the sink is being held solidly while you work on it.
  3. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

I've done the channel lock thing before too but the last few times I used two screwdrivers to form an X which I was able to use a board laid corner to corner in the sink or something long to hold it while I used a huge pair of pliers under the sink (could find that new fancy wrench I bought).
  4. angieb12603

angieb12603 New Member

Removing sink drain

Thank you for your reply. A friend of mine helped me with that as well and it still turned but it was hard to get a good grip - didn't have a bar or good heavy duty screwdriver. I'll try that next. If you have any other suggestions in the meantime send them on!

Thanks again!

Happy New Year!
    AngieB
  5. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

hmmmm... hammer & chisel or dremel hobby tool with cutting disc. Not much else left.
  6. angieb12603

angieb12603 New Member

Good idea on the x. At least I can try that if I don't have the extra pair of hands. The next step will be something that has a blade on it!!! :D
    Thank you,
    AngieB
  7. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

I work alone and NEVER have help... always have to figure out how to do it ALL by myself. I have sometimes amazed myself what one person can do alone. I know a one armed carpenter who is about as good as I've ever seen.
  8. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

There are wrenches that are designed to install and remove basket strainers:

The basket strainer wrench holds the top part in place while the basket strainer locknut wrench unscrews the locknut. There are two types of locknut wrenches. You can buy these tools for under $15.00 at most decent hardware stores.

If that doesn't work, you need to cut off the locknut with a Dremel, using a metal cutoff wheel (wearing eye protection.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  9. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

A hack saw works real good.
  10. angieb12603

angieb12603 New Member

Thanks everyone! This is the first time I have ever tried posting a problem and it is wonderful to have all of the suggestions. All of you have had some super ideas and today is the day. I will post how it all comes out!

Thanks again!
    AngieB
  11. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

U R Welcome angie. I started out in this business just doing handy man repairs for my mom's rental house and didn't have all the fancy wrenches. I still resort to my "figuring it out" methods out of habit rather than spending a little money for tools that I don't use very often.... and probably couldn't find when I needed them.
  12. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I use a hacksaw too. I always have one handy, and it takes about minute to cut the threaded ring off. Just angle the saw so that it cuts into the basket threads, when you have cut off a section, the rest will just snap off. The metal tends to be very soft stuff anyway.
  13. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

doubled entry...
  14. Cass

Cass Plumber

I Like to drill them out. It's less work :) .
  15. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

Cass... I assume you drill thru the side of the basket nut to cut it into. Is that correct?
  16. angieb12603

angieb12603 New Member

Thanks!

Thank You Everyone! I did it. I ended up using the hacksaw and cutting it at an angle. It took a little muscle but it worked and I have a new drain! Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am sure that this site will be very useful to me in the future as I am always looking to do something different to my house. I also have recommended this site to a friend and they have already registered.

Thanks again!!!! :p
    AngieB12603
  17. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

Great site Angie... I posted it on my lake community forum for all my forum buddies there... I'm sure it will generate lots of business... and might even help Terry sell a few Toto's... (I do accept commissions & referral fees!!!!):)
  18. Flipper99

Flipper99 New Member

Removing Sink Drain

I too had trouble removing the sink drain because the basket assembly was spinning with the large nut. I did not have a Dremel handy to cut the nut so I used a drill and drilled several holes (next to each other) into the nut. The drill bit was something less than a quarter inch. I then used a hammer and screw driver to connect the holes and pry the nut off. I am sure the Dremel with a cutting wheel would be a better way to go but this worked pretty well.
  19. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Use a SawZall and cut the drain assembly right below the sink. When they installed the strainer they were sloppy and got putty, or caulking, in the threads of the nut and it has bonded it to the drain.