Removing kitchen sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

angieb12603

Reaction score
I need help! (obviously!) I am trying to replace a kitchen sink drain and it won't budge!!!:mad: I have managed to detach the pipe from the drain but the problem is the nut, or whatever it is called, that attaches the drain to the sink. When I try to turn the nut the whole drain turns. I have tried WD-40 and soaking it in CLR. I would much appreciate any suggestions even if it means removing the sink it self so I have more room to work on it.

Thanks in advance!
AngieB

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might try using the handles on a pair of channel lock pliers through the top of the basket to hold the basket from turning when you turn the nut. It would take a helper to hold the pliers, probably with a screwdriver or other bar. This will ruin the basket, but if you're replacing it anyway, no loss. Yes, you can remove the sink now, but you'll still be faced with the same problem. At least now the sink is being held solidly while you work on it.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've done the channel lock thing before too but the last few times I used two screwdrivers to form an X which I was able to use a board laid corner to corner in the sink or something long to hold it while I used a huge pair of pliers under the sink (could find that new fancy wrench I bought).

angieb12603

Reaction score
Removing sink drain

Thank you for your reply. A friend of mine helped me with that as well and it still turned but it was hard to get a good grip - didn't have a bar or good heavy duty screwdriver. I'll try that next. If you have any other suggestions in the meantime send them on!

Thanks again!

Happy New Year!
AngieB

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
hmmmm... hammer & chisel or dremel hobby tool with cutting disc. Not much else left.

angieb12603

Reaction score
Good idea on the x. At least I can try that if I don't have the extra pair of hands. The next step will be something that has a blade on it!!! :D
Thank you,
AngieB

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I work alone and NEVER have help... always have to figure out how to do it ALL by myself. I have sometimes amazed myself what one person can do alone. I know a one armed carpenter who is about as good as I've ever seen.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are wrenches that are designed to install and remove basket strainers:

The basket strainer wrench holds the top part in place while the basket strainer locknut wrench unscrews the locknut. There are two types of locknut wrenches. You can buy these tools for under $15.00 at most decent hardware stores.

If that doesn't work, you need to cut off the locknut with a Dremel, using a metal cutoff wheel (wearing eye protection.)

Attachments

• Basket Strainer Wrench.jpg
    Basket Strainer Wrench.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 18,443
  • Basket Strainer Locknut Wrench.jpg
    Basket Strainer Locknut Wrench.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 19,592
  • Basket Strainer Locknut Wrench-2.jpg
    Basket Strainer Locknut Wrench-2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 18,504
Last edited:

angieb12603

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! This is the first time I have ever tried posting a problem and it is wonderful to have all of the suggestions. All of you have had some super ideas and today is the day. I will post how it all comes out!

Thanks again!
AngieB

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
U R Welcome angie. I started out in this business just doing handy man repairs for my mom's rental house and didn't have all the fancy wrenches. I still resort to my "figuring it out" methods out of habit rather than spending a little money for tools that I don't use very often.... and probably couldn't find when I needed them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use a hacksaw too. I always have one handy, and it takes about minute to cut the threaded ring off. Just angle the saw so that it cuts into the basket threads, when you have cut off a section, the rest will just snap off. The metal tends to be very soft stuff anyway.

sink-basket-removal-1.jpg

This one was cut with a sawzall and metal blade.

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Cass... I assume you drill thru the side of the basket nut to cut it into. Is that correct?

angieb12603

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thank You Everyone! I did it. I ended up using the hacksaw and cutting it at an angle. It took a little muscle but it worked and I have a new drain! Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am sure that this site will be very useful to me in the future as I am always looking to do something different to my house. I also have recommended this site to a friend and they have already registered.

Thanks again!!!! :p
AngieB12603

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Great site Angie... I posted it on my lake community forum for all my forum buddies there... I'm sure it will generate lots of business... and might even help Terry sell a few Toto's... (I do accept commissions & referral fees!!!!):)

Flipper99

Reaction score
Removing Sink Drain

I too had trouble removing the sink drain because the basket assembly was spinning with the large nut. I did not have a Dremel handy to cut the nut so I used a drill and drilled several holes (next to each other) into the nut. The drill bit was something less than a quarter inch. I then used a hammer and screw driver to connect the holes and pry the nut off. I am sure the Dremel with a cutting wheel would be a better way to go but this worked pretty well.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Use a SawZall and cut the drain assembly right below the sink. When they installed the strainer they were sloppy and got putty, or caulking, in the threads of the nut and it has bonded it to the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks