Removing Grohe volume control extension on faucet handles

Users who are viewing this thread

ms.conduct

Reaction score
I set about trying to repair an increasingly bad drip from my Grohe faucet on our jacuzzi tub this morning. Thought it would be simple (aka the internet would get me through it).

Well, now I'm stuck, so I'm hoping someone out there has experience with this. I've taken everything off down to the extension that connects the handle down to the cartridge, but I can't get the extension off.

It consists of a white plastic outer tube that's VERY firmly fastened and doesn't budge at all. It has holes on either side near the top that look like you should be able to stick a screwdriver in sideways to crank that piece out.

But inside the white tube (and preventing me from using those holes to crank the piece out) is a black tube that appears to attach to the stem head down at the bottom. The black tube is quite loose and seems like it should be easy to lift out, but I've tried several kinds of pliers and it won't come out. I can't tell what's holding it in.

I'm hoping once I get these pieces out, removal of the cartridge itself will be pretty obvious, but these two stupid pieces of plastic are proving a real headache.

Any help?

ms.conduct

Reaction score
Grr. Okay, sorry, you have to click a link to see the pics:

http://twitpic.com/5b6qgf

Here's from above the handle hole with the flashlight on it, trying to show what's going on down inside the extensions.

http://twitpic.com/5b6p5d

conduct_2.jpg

conduct_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

henry huppert

Reaction score
Just found the same issue, figured it out and wanted to resolve for others.
1. The inner tube (can be white or black) is just pushed onto the valve stem. Grab it with a needle-nose pliers and pull up and it will come off.
2. You can then put a small metal piece through the two holes on the outer plastic piece and screw counter clockwise to remove.

I think this is a Grohe extension kit Grohe 45.202.000 Extension For Low Profile Roman Tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks