removing Grohe cartridge

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by deew, Feb 5, 2005.

1. deew

deew New Member

Is there a trick to removing the cartridge from the Grohe tub filler valve and diverter? Need to remove the cartridge before sweating, but can't get it out. Thanks.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I've only removed a faucet cartridge, but assuming it is similar, there was a metal ring at the top with two screws. Just remove the two screws and the whole thing pulled straight out. You may find it helpful if you look at the parts blowup diagram. If you didn't get one with the valve (or lost it), then they are available on-line on the www.grohe.com site.
  3. ratanshah

ratanshah New Member

Remove

It is not easy but possible
    Once you succesfully unscrew the cartridge you will have to wiggle it loose with pair of plyers
    If too hard to unscrew use any home depot or lowes product for loosening

ratan
    ratanshah@comcast.net
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Should I use the Estwing Hammer I bought at Lowes or, the Pick Axe I bought at Home Depot?
  5. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

This is a difficult task, and grohe doesn't provide you with the proper tools to do it. You will have to carefully use a vise to hold each unit while you try to work on them. You can use sockets on each of the handle cartridges, but you'll need a special deep socket to work on the diverter stem. Good luck with this one...you'll be cursing grohe after this install.