Removing Flange Ring in Pedestal Sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Dan the Man, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Dan the Man

Dan the Man New Member

I am replacing the drain in my Moen pedestal sink. The sink is still attached to the wall. I have raised the flange ring into the sink so I can grab it. Every tutorial instructs me to unscrew the ring. The ring turns but it does not detach. It just keeps turning. I have tried unscrewing it both clockwise and counter clockwise. The pipe holding the ring is not rotating so the ring should detach. Any suggestions? A lot of people seem to end up using hacksaws. If it comes to this, what kind? But I still prefer to just loosen the flange ring - which is already loose but it is spinning in place. Thanks!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It depends on the drain assembly.
    Some have thread off flanges, counter-clockwise to unthread, or some just drop down from the top, and require removing the washer, washer nut, and pop-up from below.

It could be that yours has been there a while, and needs more muscle.
    A picture 800 pixels or less would be nice.
  3. Dan the Man

Dan the Man New Member

I figured it out. The ring was permanently attached and could not be removed . I found a hidden coupler that could be unscrewed. This freed up everything.