Removing Difficult Tub Spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Dnbny56

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I moved into the house less than a year ago and the bathroom has always bugged us a little---lots of grout or caulk everywhere and when showering, the diverter was not working correctly. This weekend I went to Home Depot to get a replacement and came home to start working. The spout was difficult to remove (no set screw) but with a recommendation to use WD-40 I saw on another post, I finally was able to twist it off. However, it seems there is still this part attached to the wall. The surrounding tile is already in weak condition and I don't want to make it worse. I have tried everything to get this remaining piece off but nothing works. Has anybody seen a piece that looks like this before or offer any suggestions? I have attached photos of the spout I removed and the piece still remaining. Thank you!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That piece is part of the old spout and has to be unscrewed before you can install the new one. We cannot tell you how much force it will take to remove it, or if something inside the wall will break when you do it, because we do not have access to it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does that bezel on the second photo say DELTA?

Dnbny56

Reaction score
Any suggestion on how to loosen it to unscrew it? I have been using channel locks and attempting to turn counterclockwise but it is just chipping away at it.

That piece is part of the old spout and has to be unscrewed before you can install the new one. We cannot tell you how much force it will take to remove it, or if something inside the wall will break when you do it, because we do not have access to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks