removing chrome drain pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jkduab, Mar 21, 2005.

1. jkduab

jkduab New Member

I am remodeling a 50 year old home and I have taken out the wall hung sink, but the drain pipe extending from the wall is still there. I have no idea how to get this out. It appears to be inserted in a cast iron pipe, but I don't think these are threaded. How do you remove this and install a new one? I have removed the drywall from behind it to get a better look at it and still don't see any way to get it out. The one I bought has no threads on the end of it. I'm a novice, so please excuse my ignorance. Thanks!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

rain

There is a brass "ring" screwed into the cast iron pipe. The trap is soldered into it. Most of the time you have to cut the chrome pipe out of the brass and then cut the brass out of the cast iron.
  3. jkduab

jkduab New Member

Thanks for your reply. What is the best way to cut all that out?
  4. Just cut the chrome drain pipe off straight with a hacksaw and use a compression ring fitting on it. Check it out a plumbing supply, and they will show you what you need.
    Good luck!
    Mike
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

bushing

You can use a hammer and a thin chisel to remove the chrome piece. Then use a hacksaw blade to cut two slits about a 1/4" apart through the brass piece and use the chisel to remove that little piece. Then the remaining piece can be "folded" in to close the gap and it will spin out with your fingers. Then get either a short nipple and a female trap connector, or a male one, (depending on how far it is inside the wall), and then insert the new trap and tighten the slip nut and washer.