removing chrome drain pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

jkduab

Reaction score
I am remodeling a 50 year old home and I have taken out the wall hung sink, but the drain pipe extending from the wall is still there. I have no idea how to get this out. It appears to be inserted in a cast iron pipe, but I don't think these are threaded. How do you remove this and install a new one? I have removed the drywall from behind it to get a better look at it and still don't see any way to get it out. The one I bought has no threads on the end of it. I'm a novice, so please excuse my ignorance. Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rain

There is a brass "ring" screwed into the cast iron pipe. The trap is soldered into it. Most of the time you have to cut the chrome pipe out of the brass and then cut the brass out of the cast iron.

jkduab

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. What is the best way to cut all that out?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bushing

You can use a hammer and a thin chisel to remove the chrome piece. Then use a hacksaw blade to cut two slits about a 1/4" apart through the brass piece and use the chisel to remove that little piece. Then the remaining piece can be "folded" in to close the gap and it will spin out with your fingers. Then get either a short nipple and a female trap connector, or a male one, (depending on how far it is inside the wall), and then insert the new trap and tighten the slip nut and washer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks