Removing caulk stain on granite

Users who are viewing this thread

Jvstevens

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but hopefully someone can help me out here.

Recently, I applied some GE Silicone II clear caulk to the seam between a granite vanity countertop and its backsplash (same type of granite). I came back after a few hours, and realized that the caulk wasn't setting. It should have hardened by the then, but it was still sticky and gooey. Then I looked at the "Use By" date on the caulk container and realized it was well past its date. I immediately wiped away all the caulk I could, but a few hours later, a rather prominent grey stain appeared where the caulk was. Oddly enough, it seems to be mostly on the backsplash. Little or no stain on the countertop itself. I called the GE Sealants hotline, and the guy recommended I use mineral spirits or 91% Isopropyl alcohol to remove the stain. I tried both and it doesn't seem to help. Initially, it looks like it lightens it, but then the stain reappears later. Its starting to worry me, and make me a little crazy. As a last resort, I could just get new backsplashes, but I'd rather not go through that hassle. There seems to be a lot of advice online about getting various food-related stains out of granite, but I'm not having much luck with this particular stain.

Has anyone experienced this, and it so, what did you do to remove the stain? All ideas are appreciated!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I remove excess silicone and epoxy glue from granite with a single edge. The longer you wait, the harder the job. Keep in mind that you can't remove silicone 100%.

Jvstevens

Reaction score
I remove excess silicone and epoxy glue from granite with a single edge. The longer you wait, the harder the job. Keep in mind that you can't remove silicone 100%.

I immediately removed all I could by mechanical means. What's left is buried in the microscopic voids of the granite surface, and beyond removal by razor blades, etc. Chemical removal is my only hope.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks