Removing Cartridge Retaining Nut

Users who are viewing this thread

Roback

Reaction score
I have a single lever faucet with a cartridge retaining nut that measures 1.25 inches from flat side to flat side. Anybody have any idea what size metric socket would fit that size nut? I know it is metric. I replaced it once before, but honestly don't remember what I used? The cartridge nut sits just below the cartridge cavity, so I can't get to it with channel locks. I've already tried and rounded the nut slightly. Any advice would be very helpful.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The sockets that reach4 showed you don't use 3/8 drive. The set comes with a little rod.

Reach4

Reaction score
I checked my shower valve set. No 1-1/4, but it did have 1-9/32. I have a feeling that you may have measured your nut with a tape measure rather than a caliper.

Roback

Reaction score
I checked my shower valve set. No 1-1/4, but it did have 1-9/32. I have a feeling that you may have measured your nut with a tape measure rather than a caliper.

I did try the 1 9/32 socket on the nut. Unfortunately that was slightly too big, because this nut is metric! Perhaps 32mm. Don't think shower valve sets come in metric but have not looked.

Roback

Reaction score
I did try the 1 9/32 socket on the nut. Unfortunately that was slightly too big, because this nut is metric! Perhaps 32mm. Don't think shower valve sets come in metric but have not looked.

I measured nut with caliper 32mm. Measured gap corners corners to insude of cartridge body. The gap is approx 5mm. I have tried two sockets and they don't fit into the socket body. And no SAE shower valve wrenches fit. What am I missing? I used something a few years ago but can't remember what for the life of me! Any help that anyone can be would greatly help.

Reach4

Reaction score
I measured nut with caliper 32mm. Measured gap corners corners to insude of cartridge body. The gap is approx 5mm. I have tried two sockets and they don't fit into the socket body.
If the red circle represents the space to accommodate a socket, does the green line or the blue line represent the 5 mm available gap? If the blue line, I would think that there would be plenty of space for a socket.

You don't say if you need a deep socket, or if a shallow socket would work.

I see that hat some oil filters have a 32 mm hex. So an auto parts store might have a suitable socket. Measure how much OD you have space for, then take your calipers to the store with you.

Attachments

• img_1.png
    img_1.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 221

Roback

Reaction score
If the red circle represents the space to accommodate a socket, does the green line or the blue line represent the 5 mm available gap? If the blue line, I would think that there would be plenty of space for a socket.

You don't say if you need a deep socket, or if a shallow socket would work.

I see that hat some oil filters have a 32 mm hex. So an auto parts store might have a suitable socket. Measure how much OD you have space for, then take your calipers to the store with you.

Yes, the green line represents the approx 5mm gap. I did get a 32mm socket at auto supply place and it is too big to fit? I do need a deep socket to accomodate plastic lever (see pic). I am at a loss! Any other type of tool you can think of?

Reach4

Reaction score
I do need a deep socket to accomodate plastic lever (see pic). I am at a loss!
The picture is on the other thread. It looks to me as if you would need the deep socket, but you can see that with a side view better than a top view.

It is possible that a 1/2 inch regular socket would clear the plastic by itself by letting the plastic poke through the drive hole. If you find that to be the case, you could turn that socket by grasping it with a big ViceGrip plier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks