removing brown stains on grout without acidic product (don't want to etch it)

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by AcidWater, Nov 5, 2013.

1. AcidWater

AcidWater New Member

Just noticed that the 1966 shower tiles have a lot of brown stains in the grout. Got a product for stain removal but it says it might etch older tile, so I'd like to avoid using it.

Bigger project is fixing the areas where the grout has come off, in 1/4" to 3/4" long strips. The grout line is really thin; less than 1/8" so the standard scraper I can buy is too wide. But wider than a grinding wheel on a Dremel. Maybe I can find some sort of a burr with the proper diameter to fit the width. Can I then use sealer over both old & new grout?
  2. John Bridge

John Bridge Mudmeister

Try cutting a hacksaw blade into 3-inch segments. You can grip them with a visegrip type tool. I have also used a utility knife, but that old grout is probably too hard for that. ;)
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Assuming the brown staining is rust, Super Iron Out does a good job for me and has not damaged the tile.

As for removing grout, the Fein tool gets good reviews.

[​IMG]
  4. AcidWater

AcidWater New Member

I'll try the Super Iron Out...

Actually I have the Dremel version of the Fine tool... haven't used it on anything yet. Wonder if there is a way to attach a fence to control the depth.