Removing Antique Sink Widespread Faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

bradak

Reaction score
Help! I need some advice on how to remove the bottom brass nuts on these old faucets. I rather not damage the chrome top housings (don't know what to call them) anymore than they have been.

3912766548_9bb380b155.jpg

3912765988_46596dc90a.jpg

I cannot get any of my adjustable wrenches or waterpump pliers in close enough to get a good bite on the brass nut. The nut looks to be 1-3/8". Is there an inexpensive formed metal socket with a opening in it so it slips around the valve body in 1-3/8"?

I want to replace the sealing material on the valve stems, replace the washers, and seats if my local plumbing supply has them.

3912764870_b9e06cf79c.jpg

3912764332_f385c27502.jpg

Gave up on trying to find appropriate modern replacements for sink and tub. The closest match was the American Standard Hampton, but the suppliers say it's discontinued.

Thanks,
Brad

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
nuts

What you are trying to do is like a doctor doing throat surgery by going into the stomach. Loosening those nuts will not help you with the packing. Remove the handles and chrome escutcheons, it can be done without damaging them, and the packing will be right there. If you really want to loosen those two nuts, the easiest way will still be to remove the handle and escutcheon and then loosen the TOP nuts which will then free the bottom ones.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks