Removing a whirlpool tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Drew2

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a whirlpool tub in an alcove of my master bedroom. I want to remove it. It's fairly large approximately 6' x 5'. I believe it is made of fiberglass. It's an american standard and the model # is 00-2078. My question is, and this is probably a dumb question, can this tub be salvaged? Could I actually remove the tub for use elsewhere. The tub appears to be dropped into the framing around the tub. Not sure what is supporting the bottom of the tub. Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can you see th edge of the tub all of the way around? If so, you can probably remove the drain and (if attached to the rim) the valves and then the electrical and try to lift it out. It probably has caulk all of the way around the lip, and thatwill act like a very good glue. Try a utility knife to cut through it. If you can get it out, yes you can reuse it elsewhere. If they used foam under it, and it didn't come from the factory with it on there, it may also be glued to the floor. Often, they wil set it in mortar or similar. That usually doesn't adhere unless it is the foam, then it can be a real pain.

Drew2

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I may or may not try this. Though maybe I caN entice someone to do it in exchange for a free tub.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
dream on fellas

you are not going to find anyone out there that will try
to save an old whirlpool tub...

Most people are in business to make money, and they simply are not
going to spend the day messing with it...

getting it out of the house is another issue all in itself......

just cut it out with a sawzall if you really are wanting to be rid of it..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

You may find someone that will take the tub without charging you to do so, but finding someone that will actually give you a new tub in exchange for it will take some doing. If it is in super good shape, you might find a buyer in the local paper, but if someone needs that size tub they will usually want to spend the money for a new one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks