Removing 4" cast iron waste line

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Origen, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Origen

Origen New Member

I have a 4' section of horizontal 4" cast iron soil pipe in a ceiling I need to remove/replace. It is full of waste. When I removed the ceiling I was bathed in human waste, and I would like to avoid that experience a second time! What would be the best way to drain it before cutting it out? Should I cut a slot with a grinder and place the bucket underneath? Drill it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Why not snake the line to allow it to drain?

John
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

How is it connected? If with No-Hub couplings, loosen one end, put a barrel under that end, then lower it so the water runs into the barrel.
  4. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

Care to share ,why it's full of waste ?