removing 4'' cast iron stack

Users who are viewing this thread

tk2

Reaction score
I,m remodeling my first floor bathroom, I want to remove a 4'' cast iron pipe and replace it with pvc and reduce the size if I could. This is from the bathroom floor up to the roof, there's no other connection on the pipe..The only fixtures I have are sink, shower and toilet...that are connected in the basement..attached is somewhat of my existing DWV design....

Attachments

• plumbing.JPG
    plumbing.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 857

tk2

Reaction score
Cass said:
Why do you want ot do this?
I need to reposition my toilet and this wye is up against the baseboard I need to replace ....I really don't what to mess with that cast iron, I don't think I have another option....If I do remove this pipe, what size can I use?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you remove the cast iron stack, you need to clamp it to the upper floors so that when you cut it loose it doesn't come down on top of you. It is extremely heavy and takes some serious clamps. Do not be under it when you cut it.

Finnegan

Reaction score
You can reduce the 4" vent portion of the pipe only if you have other vents going through the roof. The cross section of your vents need to be equal to or greater than your largest waste pipe. So, if you have a 4" pipe entering your house, you need a 4" going out the roof or a 3", 2" and 2", etc.

tk2

Reaction score
finnegan said:
You can reduce the 4" vent portion of the pipe only if you have other vents going through the roof. The cross section of your vents need to be equal to or greater than your largest waste pipe. So, if you have a 4" pipe entering your house, you need a 4" going out the roof or a 3", 2" and 2", etc.
THANKS FINNEGAN,tk2

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks