Removed old Flange Important help needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigbobdallas

Reaction score
Ok let me start off by this. Doing complete bath renovation, DIY style, Ok
Just cleaned all old 12 x12 vinyle of floor clean and took out toliet last night. Took old flange out, now bought new flange and riser if needed. Now I have read that it is better to put tile first up to hole in floor, Ok then when you install the new flange I was told that it is better to screw the flange also in, by the way foundation is concrete. Once you put flange down and spread the flange screw down do I need to screw into tile and into cement, or what am waiting on some answers while I began to tile as I wait, Thanks ahead

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Bottom line is that the new flange should sit just on top of the finished floor. This give you the proper height for the wax ring to do its job. The flange should have 2 or 3 screws in it right down into the concrete subfloor. Use a lead shield or tapcon screws. You do not want the force of someone rocking on the toilet to be applied to the flange connection to the pipe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To save drilling through the tile, you can make slots that will allow the screws to go through it into the slab. Some tile are notoriously hard and might require diamond bits to drill...much easier to do on the wetsaw or with a grinder and diamond blade before you set the tile.

Bigbobdallas

Reaction score
Thanks

The answer with cutting before putting tile down is a great idea both of you gave me good advice catch you later when done unless problems

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks