Removed a water softener system

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by firefly2790, Jan 15, 2010.

1. firefly2790

firefly2790 New Member

I recently moved and the new house has a Kinetico Model 50 water softener. I believe it is 8 or less years old and I know it was not cheap to buy and have installed. Our city water is high quality and I don't like the taste of softened water so we removed it. Are there issues with it sitting (full of water) for a period of time while I try to sell it? Is there a better way to prepare it for storage? Any tips on trying to sell a water softener system? The system has two tanks, softener valve assembly, bypass valve, and brine tank. I left the prefilter on my water system. Thanks!
  2. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

One of the most simple ways of getting the water out of the tanks if the tanks are going to be in an area that could freeze would be to unscrew the head on each tank, run some like a 1/2 tube down the center pipe and siphon out the water from inside each of the tanks, then screw back on the heads to each of the tanks.
  3. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Drain it, leave the head off for a few days to dry it out and **** it.
  4. firefly2790

firefly2790 New Member

Could not remove the head on either tank as they are either in there tight or don't come off. I am hesitant to put tools on the plastic parts. Any ideas?
  5. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Large strap wrench could work.

I have used a very large channel locks on some in the past, but with EXTREME EXTREME CARE..
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010