remove RPZ valve?

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by lawnpsycho, Nov 3, 2008.

1. lawnpsycho

lawnpsycho New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Is it necessary for the RPZ valve to my lawn sprinkler system be removed for the winter? The service technician that winterized my system told me they do not recommend removing the RPZ valve. Yet, I get conflicting information that says it's a must that the valve is removed and stored in a heated space. Which is correct?
  2. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy In the Trades

Aug 18, 2008
    If you blow it out well, it should be fine. Make sure there's no water in it and it can't freeze.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Dec 15, 2007
    Service Plumber
    If it does freeze it's expensive.
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA
    I always pull mine because it seems there a many little places where water might not blow out. It may be overkill, but at over $100 for a new one, I figure I can spend a few minutes to pull it out.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

Some backflow units have a plastic cap which breaks when it freezes, RPPBFP's do not so they will break if they freeze.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Mar 23, 2007
    Metro NYC
    Some localities do not approve of union installations of RPZs, so it would then be necessary to partially dismantle them to get out the water. I have to do that dismantling on most of my own RPZ installations.