remove RPZ valve?

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by lawnpsycho, Nov 3, 2008.

1. lawnpsycho

lawnpsycho New Member

Is it necessary for the RPZ valve to my lawn sprinkler system be removed for the winter? The service technician that winterized my system told me they do not recommend removing the RPZ valve. Yet, I get conflicting information that says it's a must that the valve is removed and stored in a heated space. Which is correct?
  2. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy In the Trades

If you blow it out well, it should be fine. Make sure there's no water in it and it can't freeze.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

If it does freeze it's expensive.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I always pull mine because it seems there a many little places where water might not blow out. It may be overkill, but at over $100 for a new one, I figure I can spend a few minutes to pull it out.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Rpz

Some backflow units have a plastic cap which breaks when it freezes, RPPBFP's do not so they will break if they freeze.
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Some localities do not approve of union installations of RPZs, so it would then be necessary to partially dismantle them to get out the water. I have to do that dismantling on most of my own RPZ installations.