Remove old broken iron flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

mikel68

Reaction score
My toilet was a "rockin" so after removing to reseat, discovered a bit of a mess. There was a newer universal flange that I removed. Then cleaned up any residue, and found an old iron flange underneath that looks broken. I was not able to pry it up, and there are not any screws holding it down. I am wondering if it is attached to the lead pipe, as one piece or soldered.

I thought about just putting a new flange over it as I had found, but the available screw holes in the old flange are useless as the holes into the subfloor are stripped or rotted, and won't hold a screw any longer.

So, I am thinking about trying to remove the old flange, before mounting a new one.

Attachments

• IMG_3454.jpg
    IMG_3454.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_3455_1.jpg
    IMG_3455_1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 418

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most likely the old flange is attached to the drain with a lead/oakum joint. These are not impossible to remove, but are very difficult for a DIY. The lead has to be drill out with as many holes as possible then the remainder pried out. A plumber could do this in less time than it will take you to figure out how to get to it. If you have access from under the floor, you could cut the cast iron pipe before it gets to the bend, then use a no hub connector to transition to PVC and go from there with PVC and a new flange. IMHO, this is one job you should pay the professional to do.

mikel68

Reaction score
Thanks Gary! That was pretty helpful. Since my wife and I are saving to do a full remodel of this bathroom later this year, I'm going with a temporary fix for now, and when the bathroom remodel comes around will have a professional handle a nice permanent correction for the drain. Luckily it looks like there is access from below for a pro to get at it.

Basically, I cleaned up the area, chiseled out a little of the tile, and am going attaching a new universal flange over the old iron one. I drilled a couple of new holes through the old flange for attaching the new one. As long as I get everything level and the toilet sitting flush with the floor, it should be good to go, without any rocking.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like it will work OK from your description. We have so many people write in to this forum with problems with toilet flanges after they have finished their remodeling jobs, so it is refreshing to have someone seek advise before they bull ahead and do it wrong. It's my position that a toilet is one job that should only be undertaken once in 50 years or so. I want to set it and forget it.:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks