Remove Moen 3809 diverter spout

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by integration, Sep 6, 2013.

1. integration

integration New Member

Hello,

I am trying to remove a Moen 3809 diverter spout (image attached), but it just keeps rotating. There is no hex screw below. So I assumed that this was a threaded type diverter spout. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There IS an Allen screw but it is on the bottom and you have probably rotated the spout so it is no longer lined up with the slot.
  3. integration

integration New Member

Thanks for the quick response. The spout rotates freely, and I have tried seeing if there is an Allan screw, but there isn't one.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I'm going with the Allen screw too.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There are only two common ways the spout is attached: screw on pipe fitting, or push-on, locked via a setscrew. If it's rotating without moving along the screw, the set screw is holding it. Now, you may have broken the collar with the setscrew, but there's still one there.
  6. Smooky

Smooky Member

7. hj

The Allen screw goes through a plastic insert inside the spout. You have probably loosened it so you have to line the slot up with the screw again.
  8. Terry

Smooky,
    Good catch. The Moen spec you have shows and IP spout. It would make sense then that if a Sharkbite was used, it would spin and spin.
  9. hj

quote; if a Sharkbite was used,

If some "idiot" did use a Sharakbite, (but I am not sure how they would have gotten it in there and tightened up), the the only solution is to "chop" the spout apart until you can access it and depress the "release ring".
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  10. integration

integration New Member

Hello all,

Thank you so much for all your responses. Only the spout is spinning. I think Smooky is correct, and a Sharkbite was used, and that's why its just spinning. So I guess I'll have to cut the spout in order to access the release ring. Any other suggestions before I do this?
  11. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sharkbites have their place, but I don't think that this is one of them!

Do you have, or can you get access to the plumbing behind the shower wall? If so, you could release the pipe from the sharkbit and pull the pipe stub and the spout out. Might be just as easy to cut a new piece of pipe to attach a new spout to. How you kept it from spinning on the wall eludes me...must have caulked it tight to the shower wall, and that was the only thing really keeping it from moving around.
  12. integration

integration New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. The plumbing behind the wall isn't easily accessible. The spout only spins if I turn it by hand. There is no caulking.

I just moved into this place, and the previous owner installed the plumbing in the bathroom, and probably the Sharkbite. Its a little tough to understand what his reason for this was. The whole installation is quite new, and its rather unfortunate that there is a substantial leak from the spout.
  13. Terry

You may have a substantial leak in the wall too. I would take a hacksaw to it and see what you have to work with.
  14. integration

integration New Member

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. I went ahead and hacked the spout, and lo and behold! It was held by a sharkbite!! I removed it with a sharkbite removal tool (available for around $2 in Home Depot), and installed the new spout. The thing that was really irritating me, the leak, has now stopped. One suggestion to anyone who might have to do this - using a hacksaw alone isn't enough. You will need a good pair of cutting pliers in order to cut away and remove the hacked part of the spout in order to access the pipe. It took a little effort, but I was able to do it.

For those who are thinking about it, please don't install a sharkbite for the diverter spout, unless you wish to transform a 2 minute job to an hour of tricky work. There are a lot better ways to keep yourself busy!
  15. Terry

I would have loved to see a pictured of the spout all hacked up! :)
    I'm glad you got it fixed. Good story.
  16. integration

integration New Member

Ha, I knew someone would want to see it! Here are a couple of pics, Terry. Thanks for your help!

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
  17. hj

As I said, it would take an "Idiot" to use a Sharkbite fitting in a diverter spout. Just tightening into the thread would have been a challenge. A Crescent wrench works as good, or better, than the "release tool".