Remove bowl to replace seat????

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by dodge, May 27, 2009.

1. dodge

dodge New Member

I will soon need to replace the toilet seat on my Toto Aquia III - CST464MF. I see no way to get access to the nut under the bowl flange without removing the toilet bowl. The back of the bowl is almost flush with the wall behind it. There must be an easier way. :confused:
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Yes, there is an easy way.
    Toto supplies toggles that drop in from the top for attaching the seat.

If your plunber threw those away, then I guess you will have to pull the bowl.
  3. Peanut9199

Peanut9199 Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale

If you take the bolt caps off the seat and underneath the screw heads are metal than you have the insert type of screws than your ok.
    Top mount.JPG

If you take the caps off and there is plastic screws than your plumber install the wrong ones and you need to remove the bowl.
    Plastic screws.JPG
  4. dodge

dodge New Member

Seems strange that Toto would include alternate types of seat mounting hardware. Maybe one holds the seat more securely to the bowl with less wobble.

Even the instruction sheet included with the seat makes no mention of the 2 different options for securing the seat. I think only the plastic style was in the carton with the seat. Does anyone know if the metal screw type available for separate purchase?

thanks
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

They include generic bolts with the seat since the seat is (usually) packaged separately and could go on any toilet (fits non-Toto as well). Those toilets that the (much more expensive) bolts make sense for, they include them in the box with those toilets. Now, if the installer read the actual instructions, you would not have these problems.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Toto supplies the toggles with their skirted bowls.
    Seats will always come with attachements, but with the skirted bowl, it's better to use the supplied toggles.

The trick, is to keep the installing plumber from throwing away the toggles. If they were to "read" the instructions, they would know about them.

The toggles can be ordered too.

[​IMG]
  7. Peanut9199

Peanut9199 Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale

Part number is THU651N for the set.