Removal of compression fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Morganza

Reaction score
When changing a 15 yr old bathroom sink faucet, I quickly discovered that both shutoff valves leaked badly when moved from "open" position. When I took them off for replacement, I was then unable to remove the compression ferrule or nut on either one. There is very little room to work on it under the sink, so I just installed the new valves using the original ferrule. My concern here is that in order to get a leak free installation, I had to tighten the compression nut more than I would have thought necessary had I been using all new materials. Everything seems to be working fine now, but I am concerned that there may be a problem (disaster!) in the future because of my having to put so much pressure on the compression fitting in order to get it to not leak.

Question 1: If the fittings are not leaking now, is there potential for failure later on, due to overtightening the compression nut?

Question 2: Should I leave everything as it is and go worry about something else?

My other concern is that if I do go in and cut out or otherwise remove the old ferrules and nuts, will I have problems getting another ferrule to seat properly? If the ferrule was not overtightened originally, I'm pretty sure that it is now!

Thanks for any comments . . .

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ferrule

If the valve screwed on easily until the point where you made the final tightening, then you may be in good shape. There are sleeve pullers that would have removed it, but at this point there is a question as to whether the excessive tightening has deformed the tubing so it will not come off and/or a new one install properly.

sleeve_puller_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
These are all good questions.... but in my limited 5 years experience I've never over tightened a compression fitting, unless the threads stripped.

I've had some materials failed... the chrome flaked on one the sealing spots.

good luck

dances-with-pumps

Last edited by a moderator:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Where was the valve leaking? Around the stem? If that's it then the packing under the valve stem nut needs replacing. Sometimes this can be "fixed" just by tightening the nut a little.

Morganza

Reaction score
Randyj said:
Where was the valve leaking? Around the stem? If that's it then the packing under the valve stem nut needs replacing. Sometimes this can be "fixed" just by tightening the nut a little.

Yes, they were both leaking around the stem.They were leaking alot. Gushing more than leaking. They were also very hard to turn and felt like they were about to break when I turned them, so I just replaced them both.

So far, my house has not flooded, so I guess I'm OK with things as they are. I hope so. I was just very uncomfortable having to tighten the nut so much.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds about normal for old valves that have not been turned in years. Replacing them with 1/4 turn valves is like riding in a new Cadillac.....or buying your very first DeWalt power tool.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
new car

Riding in a new Cadillac? Why would I want to do that. I have never wanted a Cadillac, because when I was 26 years old, I went to look at a Cadillac and the salesman acted like he did not want me to even touch it, so I went down the street and bought another Lincoln.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I was paid for a plumbing job with a 1993 Cadillac sedan deville... she had no money and the car was in need of repairs... still got it and it needs a fuel pump...otherwise a pretty decent car... FOR SALE!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks