Remodeling Shower - Need help with shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

S

Steve.70

Greetings, I am new to this forum and hopefully I can find some help. I'm in the process of remodeling my shower and have completed all of the demo. Now I am down to the drain and had to cut the pipe due to the drain flange having rusted bolts that broke off during extraction. My plan with the drain is to simply prime and glue a 2" coupler and then insert a small section of 2" pipe to address the loss of pipe height. Not an issue here.

First question is - what is the sand mix I am seeing around the drain pipe. It seems to be just normal sand, not wet, but not dry either and is surrounding the existing pipe.

My next question is - after installing the 2" coupler and pipe to raise the pipe again, do I need to fill in around the pipe with sand up to the top where the mortar bed?

After I have the correct answers, my next steps will be to build the mortar bed with a 1/4" slope per foot up to the shower flange, install a shower liner and lock it down with the flange (fold the edges in and run it up just past the curb height and then install the final mortar bed up to 1/4" below the shower drain top to allow for 1/4" tile.

I have uploaded an image as well. Thanks in advance for any help and if you see any issues with my next steps any guidance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Shower Drain.jpg
    Shower Drain.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 309
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks