Remodeling Forums ?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by chefwong, Feb 6, 2012.

1. chefwong

chefwong Member

What other forums do ya'll go to for *theory* and design....

Love the info over at contracttalk and jlc for certain trades.
    Not DIY friendly crowd....

I've got friends who are architects but they're too busy for me to get into my OCD'ness - I research to death, till I even execute.

U can easy spot a DIY job with a trained eye. Sometimes, things just conflict with each other and or just plain wrong from a *design* standpoint. Just seeking info as always...
  2. chefwong

chefwong Member

BTW, what prompted this.
    Installers who don't really F@#$)( care.

I had new stairs installed today. The guys who built it in the shop are artist.
    Looks amazing.
    The guy who's installing and using a Miter Saw without a bag on it (even though its a unfinished space) with high-hats, and finished living space a floor above...I'm just a little po'ed on

I DIY when I can. Takes me months longer (weekend warrior). If time will allow the project to run that long, I DIY. Corners are square to the 1/16th, walls are close to a Level 5 finish, and more importantly, I hook a vac to the dust port.
  3. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

If you're upset about a little saw dust, you're doing pretty good.
  4. chefwong

chefwong Member

Miter Saw with No Bag in a finished home.......cutting indoors.
    Hey, if it's acceptable by you, then so be it.

There is a reason saws come with a dust bag at the very minimum.
    My trim hooks up his vac to his..
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  5. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

Okay, but a half hour of vacuuming would solve this problem.

Not a big deal.

If it was black oil based paint splattered all over everything I could see you making a thread about it on the internet.

If they beat the crap out of your walls hauling the materials in, I could see you making a thread about it on the internet.

If they left for the day without telling you that they hadn't finished the stairs, and your pregnant wife fell down them and hurt herself, I could see you making a thread about it.

But sawdust, REALLY?

Get over it, there's much bigger things to worry about these days.
  6. lynnbrwn

lynnbrwn New Member

not too sure which types of forums you are looking for but I found this forum a good resource as well as remodelcrazy.com. Hope you find what you are looking for.
  7. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

Sorry, but I agree strongly with the Chef. Somebody comes into my house, they need to keep things clean. It's a matter of respect.

A half hour to vacuum is not so bad, but it takes LOTS longer than that if there is anything in the room other than 4 walls and a floor. The stuff gets ALL over the place; not as bad as sheetrock/ spackle dust, but bad enough to get upset. But the Chef's room was empty, good thing
  8. chefwong

chefwong Member

FWIW, I love the high level talk over at **************. Good stuff - and while I'm not in the trades, in my line of work, I have oversawn quite a few buildouts...
    Wish I would join, and no offense to the honest to god pros who like to chat and engage in just knowledge talk - like most pro only forums, they scuff at DIY'ers.

Sadly, if I could build the level of stairs that these guys did for me, I would have.
    I try to DIY alot of things. I've got a cabinentmaker who is worth it's weight in gold, but everything else, out here in Gotham City, unless you have Deep Deep Pockets, there are no decent contractors at anything above premium pricing. The low and *middle* contractors have skill sets and finish workmanship in which the market has demanded....
  9. Furd

Furd Engineer

I have a "dust bag" on my miter saw. I doubt that it catches even 10% of the sawdust. I tried connecting my vacuum cleaner in place of the dust bag and it wasn't any better.
  10. chefwong

chefwong Member

Different Saws - Different Dust Level.
    The new Milwaukee is pretty good...

My Festool Kapex with a vac port does at least 90% !

-----

Forum seems to ban certain sites, but the forums that is *** is ctalk
  11. bassmasterskip

bassmasterskip New Member

You are absol;utly correct

Whenever you are working in a occupyed space with peoples propery and articles around you should never show disrespect to them and ceertainly not to your class of workmanship. Down here in Florida they are fmous for that. Let the homeowner or the next contractor clean their mess. When ever I left my jobsite you never would know I was or still working on the site and if my men did not follow the same practice they were not my men any longer
  12. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; What other forums do ya'll go to for *theory* and design....

I do NOT go to any other forums to "learn" theory and design. I go where I can dispense knowledge.
  13. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

There is some good information being shared on Houzz.com for design in the question section and I've been having some good discussions over on the Linkd'In group pages. It seems the best way to gather information is to spread the questions out there and see what filters back. The various manufactures I deal with have all raised their game and the information direct from suppliers is better than ever.

JW