Remodeling a tiny kitchen

Users who are viewing this thread

Qqueen

Reaction score
Website
www.homeremodelingfairfield.com
I have been thinking of remodeling my kitchen for so long and now am really going to get the project started but there is one challenge am facing. I have been looking for some ideas on how to remodel my kitchen since it is very small. Most of the designs I have come across on websites are suited for bigger kitchens. Even the small kitchens they have are still bigger than mine. Have you recently remodeled a tiny kitchen?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The smaller the kitchen, the fewer options you have as far as revising it. ANY good kitchen designer can give you at least ONE option, and possibly more. It depends on WHAT the area looks like.

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
What HJ said. We often get asked about options for small kitchens and have been able to provide multiple designs options most times. NKBA has been publishing design rules for all kitchen sizes for many years and any designer worth their salt should be able to help.

We enjoy providing a range of options, sometimes way out there options, that meet NKBA design criteria and are far from typical. Although we know most designs aren't accepted, our designs certainly are thought provoking. :)

Suceress

Reaction score
qqueen, do you have any pictures of your kitchen or sketches of the layout? Do you know the dimensions?
It would help to know just how tiny it is, where the walls are, where plumbing /electrical are and such.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Graph paper and scale cutouts of appliances would help. Remember, cabinet doors and ovens have to open and you have to have space to move with them open. A kitchen designer could probably give you a lot of information and help in the design especially if you purchased cabinets from him.

Suceress

Reaction score
Good suggestions, Gary. Another thing that I found helpful (at least just for me) was to use MS Paint and get the approximate measurements for things and then build the spaces in MS paint. I multiplied the number of inches by 4 to help me not get .5 pixels and have a decent sized image. I made a file with just the scale images of the fixtures and such that I wanted to put in the room, built the room, and put stuff in place. Obviously this isn't a perfect solution, but it is good for getting a rough estimate. You can mark power outlets, light switches, and water supplies and such to have a better idea of where your plumbing and wiring are.

Queen50

Reaction score
I like Chief Architect 'Home Designer' software (not the 'Pro' version). You can draw the kitchen to your exact dimensions, add cabinets, appliances, etc. then do a walk-through. It also lets you apply colors and textures. It does cost a bit, under $100, but worth it if you're planning on doing more than one room.

Suceress

Reaction score
Thanks, queen50. I'll have to look into that software.

Rasmuspa

Reaction score
Download the IKEA 3D kitchen planner. It is such a useful tool, even if you don't purchase the IKEA cabinets/etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks