Remodeling a 1970's era toilet that was leaking at floor wax ring slipped

Users who are viewing this thread

Christie

Reaction score
Hello,
Im new to the toilet forum and need some advice. I pulled toilet out and found it was leaking underneath not positioned appropriately and was wobbly. Anyhow, remodeling entire bathroom as was my husbands late fathers home from 1970's. I have removed the flange but noticed a lip on the attached pipe not sure what to do next. Do I get a flange (adjustable to go under the lip or do you add a flange to go over the lip. Can I just take the lip piece off and if so how. The pipe is a type of metal. Putting in flooring that is 10mm in height so should make it flush when I'm done as pipe is able to move up and down. It also seems to be a hair tilted to the front not sure if it matters once the wax ring is on..

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• toilet flange.jpg
    toilet flange.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 804

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that you had removed the flange, but set it back in place for the picture. Lift the flange out, and take a picture of the pipe area.

What is the inside diameter of the pipe? How far below the planned surface of the new floor is the top of the pipe? What is the pipe material?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Christy, besides fixing the obvious flange problem, this is a good time to replace that old water hog with a new low flow Toto. A 1970's era toilet uses at least 3.5 gallons of water and perhaps as much a 5 gallons. What a waste.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming the slot on the plastic part is still intact, one of the repair rings will work with that. FWIW, any time a toilet rocks, it will almost certainly have compromised the wax ring. The wax is not like a spring, and once the toilet rocks and thins it out, it doesn't spring back, and that there's now a gap.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks like an ABS closet flange with metal ring. You can pick up a repair ring and screw that over what you have. You can't have the flange moving around and expect to have a good seal. You can shim if needed. A little tilt will be okay once you place the wax down and the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks