Remodel: what type of drain to use in shower receptor

Users who are viewing this thread

Nonni5

Remodel Addict
Reaction score
I am having a cast iron shower receptor installed in my bathroom. What is the best type of drain use: metal, pvc, or abs? I see some don't use caulk- good or bad idea? The manufacturer recommends their metal drain but is it worth the expense?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like metal on cast iron shower drains. Oatey makes some too.
Be sure to check on how that is installed. I had a Kohler shower pan to install, and it needed to be shimmed to level at the back wall.

bonheur_01.jpg

Kohler cast iron shower pan.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A chrome plated plastic piece can start to look funky quicker than a quality plated metal one.

MNshowerdude2

not to be confused with showerdude, im showerdude2
Reaction score
@ Nonni5

Avoid the moldy mildewey mess forthcoming and remove the double vapor barrier while that exterior wall is open.... Ideally if using batts you will have unfaced batts installed properly and a sealed poly install....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks