relocating P trap under a cement basement floor

Users who are viewing this thread

James Lofquist

Reaction score
Hi all,
I redoing a basement shower. The old current drain pipe is a 3 inch cast iron. The old 3" P trap is out. The drain was in the center of 38x40 shower. (19" from one wall, 20" from the other) Hence the drain pipe is centered. The shower receiptor drain is located 12" from two sided walls , not centered. Hence I have to cut the drain pipe back 4 inch and but it at a 90 degree angle and over a 7 inch.

What is the best way to handle this? Should I put in a Fernco 3 to 2 then add an 90 degree (2) add a short straight, and attach the new 2 p trap?

What should I just use play sand to fill in the whole when done and top with 3 inch concrete mix?

Thanks,
James

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
That would work - but make sure the 90 is a "long turn" or "sweep" fitting - the short radius ones are not approved for horizontal drainage or use below floodrim...

James Lofquist

Reaction score
Sorry new at this... what is a "long" 90 degree. Sold at Lowes or is this something I have to go to plumbing shop?

Last edited:

James Lofquist

Reaction score
Forget that last post. I found it. The Internet is wonderful. I already have one.

How about Sand for back fill? And should I cover the sand with plastic before covering with concrete mix?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
there are two versions of every bend, and holding them up to compare them, you see that one is wide and would be easy to drive your old car around, and the other is tight and you would have to brake a lot first or squeal rubber to drive around that corner... The radius of curvature is how much you would have to turn the steering wheel if you were driving your car around it. On the biggest highways, curves are large radius sweeps, so you don't have to slow down to follow the road and stay in your lane. Your waste water occasionally carries solids and you don't want them to fall out of the current carrying them, right at that bend, consistently for ever and ever, as they would start piling up and taht would slow down the newer stuff coming along down the line tomorrow even more than ever before, and pretty soon you'd have a clog in a nice smooth pipe.

David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks