Relocating Kitchen Sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Bart7, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Bart7

Bart7 New Member

I am a new member and this is my first post. I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel and the sink drain and vent need to be moved about 1 foot to the right from its current location. From where it is to where it needs to go are 4 2X4s; a standard beam, a king stud, jack stud plus another (this is an inner wall and there is an opening between the kitchen and family room. I can move the drain from under the floor and bring it up in the new location but the vent pipe will need to go through the 4 2x4s. Does this seem to be the right approach? Any concerns with drilling through the 4 studs? Thanks.
  2. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

For 1 foot? That's a lot of trouble.

Why not just offset the trap arm, inside the cabinet, instead - leave the dwv where it is?

Yes. You have to keep at least 5/8" away from either face, and the hole to a maximum of 60% of the stud (on a 2x4, that's 2-1/8"). If it's a bearing wall, 40% (1-5/8").

Offset's starting to sound like a good idea, am I right?
  3. Bart7

Bart7 New Member

Thanks Frenchie - the last thing I want to do is touch it. The 1 foot gets the drain into the new sink base cabinet. Leaving it where it is will make it be behind an adjacent cabinet. I can leave it but will lose space in the new cabinet. I attached a photo.

Attached Files:

• 134.JPG
      134.JPG
      File size:
      36.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It would take me about 2 seconds to drill through those four studs.