Reline cast iron or replace it with pvc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Orion1981

Reaction score
Hey guys the Cast Iron in my 1930s house is rusted out cracked and has holes in it. I have already removed and replaced some of it with plastic but I cannot help but wonder if re lining the pipes is easier in functionality and on the wallet as well.
I searched this thread and could not find any information on cast iron relining such as costs, any negatives, longevity and so forth. I know its in here somewhere I probably searched wrong. My cast iron stack is dimpled and leaking, the cast iron in the ground is cracked on the bottom with holes. It is a combination of 4inch, 3 inch and 2 inch cast iron. I have a 2 story 2 bedroom 1 bath house. House is on concrete footings separate from 2 in concrete in garage that cast iron main line is under.
Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here.

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Hey guys the Cast Iron in my 1930s house is rusted out cracked and has holes in it. I have already removed and replaced some of it with plastic but I cannot help but wonder if re lining the pipes is easier in functionality and on the wallet as well.

I would suggest that you contact two or three local plumbers and get prices for both ways. Then you'll know what is cheaper and which method is most recommended for your conditions.
Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks