Reliance 606 water heater keeps shutting off

Users who are viewing this thread

EggBert

Reaction score
I have a Reliance 606 hot water heater bought new in 2004 that keeps shutting off every few minutes. Never had an issue with it until last night or early this morning. The pilot light will light without a problem and when I turn the valve to "On" the burner will light but within a couple minutes it will just shut off. I can hear a click in the control box on the front of the tank when it happens. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I have a Reliance 606 hot water heater bought new in 2004 that keeps shutting off every few minutes. Never had an issue with it until last night or early this morning. The pilot light will light without a problem and when I turn the valve to "On" the burner will light but within a couple minutes it will just shut off. I can hear a click in the control box on the front of the tank when it happens. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to Terry's Forum.

Have you tried to operate the Gas Valve in the A,B,or C setting ? Not just On, or Vacation.

Diagnostic Flashes:
If the water heater is not working, look for the following
diagnostic flashes after lighting the pilot. For more details, see
“Status Light and Diagnostic Code Troubleshooting Chart.”
2 Flashes Indicates Thermopile Voltage Low
4 Flashes Indicates Overheat Failure
5 Flashes Indicates Sensor Failure
7 Flashes Indicates Electronic Control Failure
8 Flashes See “Status Light and Diagnostic Code Troubleshooting Chart.”

Good Luck on your project.

DonL

Reaction score
quote; Diagnostic Flashes:

I doubt very much that Reliance had the electronic control in 2004.

They did. That was for the OPs unit.

It is not much, but it gets the Voltage to run things from the free standing pilot light and Thermopile.

If the pilot is not lighting then you have no voltage to run the electronic control, and the LED will not blink at all. It does not really control anything, other than to keep the gas valve open. But it does have a status LED, IF the Thermopile is working and making enough voltage.

It uses a push button piezo ignitor.

I was wrong once before.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WE would need the serial number to be sure, because the 606 has been made for decades, but as far as I know, the electronic module is only a few years old, NOT 10 years. I could be wrong, because Reliance heaters have not been sold in this area for a long time, but they were NEVER at the forefront of technology.

EggBert

Reaction score
its just your standard control box but with the push button ignitor, no led lights or anything. but it is working normally again, not sure what the problem was. lit the pilot, left the valve in the pilot light position for a few hours then turned the burner on and been working fine ever since. but thank you for the info, if it happens again at least i know where to start.

EggBert

Reaction score
well, it WAS working fine. it went out again and now the pilot wont even light. found the pilot light assembly no problem but can't find a direct replacement gas control valve. are there any other control valves that will work for it?

DonL

Reaction score
well, it WAS working fine. it went out again and now the pilot wont even light. found the pilot light assembly no problem but can't find a direct replacement gas control valve. are there any other control valves that will work for it?

Should be, Do you have your complete model number ?

If the gas valve is bad, It may be best to buy a new Heater.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
As mentioned above, it's most likely the gas valve, but due to the age of the water heater, it makes more sense to buy a new heater.

EggBert

Reaction score
I was afraid it would be something like that so i just went ahead and got a new heater. i found a couple valves but not sure they would work on a short tank and didnt want to take the chance of something going wrong. thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks