Reliance 501 water heater, pilot won't stay lit

Users who are viewing this thread

jmjav

Reaction score
I have a Reliance 501 Gas water heater, approximately 6 years old, the pilot went out yesterday. When I try to light it, the pilot light will stay on until I release the knob, so I know there's no problem with the gas supply.

I keep the knob depressed for a good two minutes, and the thermocouple glows red hot as well. As soon as I let go, the pilot light goes out. Any help please??? Thanking you in advance...

Joel

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There is a small chance that the gas valve is bad but it is most likely the thermocouple.

Replace it and you should have hot water again.

Have fun!!!!!

jmjav

Reaction score
thermocouple replacement

Thanks for the reply! I thought (and was hoping) that it might be the thermocouple. How hard is it to replace the thermocouple? Is there somewhere on the 'net to find the instructions on how to do so? Thanks again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
t'couple

You unscrew the nut from the gas valve, grab the thermocouple wire and pull it out if its bracket. Then you slide the new one into the bracket and connect it to the gas valve.

Scott M. Sherman

Reaction score
I have a Master Plumber Reliance 501 water heater. Was kicking out cold water. Pilot is lit. Turning the temp control from B to C (VERY HOT), the burner kicks on just past C. Is this a control valve issue? Thoughts of what it could be? Thanks. Scott.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks