Reliable Tank Water Heater Brands

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbBobSquarePants

Reaction score
Seems like no one rates water heaters based on reliability and longevity?

Is AO Smith the best bet? How about GE or Whirlpool from Lowes and Home Depot?

Is .63 Energy Factor the best you can expect from a $300-600 water heater?

Do I want 6, 9 or 12 year etc.?

(I think I need a short tank)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is not necessarily a great difference in longevity between brands, EXCEPT, the Whirlpool brand...AO SMITH....and Lowes.....are the subject of a class action lawsuit, involving the unreliability and lousy design.

Bradfor White is a brand sold only by plumbing professionals, and is very highly regarded. As is Rheem, who makes Rheem, Ruud, and the GE brand.

Within each brand, there is usually a good/better/best. The actual differences are minimal. You do pay more for the longer warranty. Local water conditions as much as anything affect the lifespan.

A conventional flue gas water heater will not be able to do better than the .59 to .63 range. Too much heat loss up the middle. Direct vents and power vents can be more efficient, but cost a lot more.

If you expect to be in your home more than 12 years, and expect that you can keep track of the receipt, and can actually REMEMBER the issue 12+ years from now, then the longer warranty might be worth considering, even the "lifetime" warranty available from the box stores when they install it. You have to remember that the warranty usually only covers the tank itself, and you may be on the hook for the labor cost of installing the new one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water heaters

Water heater longevity is a function of many, many factors, almost none of which are under the control of the manufacturer, so any heater you buy could be a good one or a bad one, as attested to the numbers which are returned for replacement at EVERY brands distributor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks