Reliable Angle Stops

Users who are viewing this thread

Glnow

Reaction score
Hi,

Is there a preferred company that makes good, reliable angle stop valves? I'm putting in new ones on the toilet and under the vanity.
I saw an older thread that mentioned the Brasscraft valves breaking and of course that is all they have at my local Home Depot. ;)

Thanks,
Greg

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I like the Dahl ones. They're made in Canada too which means that you do not have to worry about shoddy American craftsmanship.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I like the Dahl ones. They're made in Canada too which means that you do not have to worry about shoddy American craftsmanship.

you just can't resist stirring the pot, eh? wasn't it you the other day that said we make good brassware here? maybe not. you've done so much complaining its hard to keep track. I'd be disappointed if you didn't chime in on this opportunity.:rolleyes:

Glnow

Reaction score
A local plumbing supply outlet had Watts KwikStop (they didn't have Dahl) in the sizes I needed. They felt sturdy and the chrome looked good as well.
How are these?

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there a preferred company that makes good, reliable angle stop valves? I'm putting in new ones on the toilet and under the vanity.
I saw an older thread that mentioned the Brasscraft valves breaking and of course that is all they have at my local Home Depot. ;)

Thanks,
Greg

As a DIYer, I have not worked with as many valves as the pros here, but all the brasscraft multiturn valves I ever used years ago had problems where they got very difficult to turn after a few years, but none of them ever "broke' even when I used a pair of pliers to help turn the handle. Now I use the 1/4 turn valves that HD has or whatever the local plumbing supply store has. I like the 1/4 turn valves much better personally.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
wasn't it you the other day that said we make good brassware here?

I meant sconces and light fittings! Not engineered brassware. Leave that to the experts. Like the Canadians.

I would as much trust an American-made angle stop as I would an American made car.

When you turn one, it's like pushing the brake on the other. Will she or won't she?

I like Dahl angle stops. Not Made in the USA.

If you have time you can order them online. A few online stores in America sell them.

31bly7KUvoL.jpg

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I meant sconces and light fittings! Not engineered brassware. Leave that to the experts. Like the Canadians.

I would as much trust an American-made angle stop as I would an American made car.

When you turn one, it's like pushing the brake on the other. Will she or won't she?

I like Dahl angle stops. Not Made in the USA.

If you have time you can order them online. A few online stores in America sell them.

sconces and light fittings have been made in India and China for years.
Nothing wrong with brakes on american cars

31bly7KUvoL.jpg

sconces and light fittings have been made in India and China for years. Nothing wrong with brakes on American cars, and you can prove that by running out between parked cars in DC. If the drivers want to stop, the car will, if not, then you can take advantage of our fine medical system you are so fond of. As a non citizen, the Emergency room will even provide you with free emergency care if you have no insurance, then I will gladly have to pay for it like i do already for all our illegals. Bob: shut up, this belongs in Ian's corner (note to self)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know about Dahl. But most of the 'regular' brands have many variations of product, which might loosely translate to good/better/best. Brasscraft, Watts, and BOB all make stops with brass stems, some with plastic stems, different innards, heavy pattern, etc.

The only serious disaster I ever had with a stop was a Brasscraft that the stem broke...it was thin, less than 3/16", and either corroded or dezinced.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; They're made in Canada too which means that you do not have to worry about shoddy American craftsmanship.

Does that mean you have to worry about "shoddy Canadian craftsmanship"? OR possibly "Canadian valves" made in China or Mexico.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
No, Dahl really are good stops. I wouldn't trust anything else with my American Standard Cadet 3.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
No, Dahl really are good stops. I wouldn't trust anything else with my American Standard Cadet 3.

At least we have comfortable toilet paper here Ian. Everywhere in Europe I've been the paper was like sandpaper.
When I went to England, i did not have to use the bathroom and became full of it like the locals, so I did not sample the paper there. So what do YOU think of American toilet paper Ian, or do you have some shipped in from the UK that suits your needs?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Americans are soft like their toilet paper.

My Cadet 3 flushes anything.

But when I have visited friends, the soft stuff here can block a lav.

To them I say, Man Up America! Scotts 1000.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Actually Ian, Scotts 1000 is what I buy and use.

You know we are softies. every time I come to this group to read your ideas, I just get all teary eyed and snotted up, so I have to keep a box of tissues next to my PC

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Any man that uses Scott 1000 is a friend of mine.

With a Dahl angle stop, a Cadet 3 and a twelve pack of Scott 1000, you're good to go!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I am still waiting for someone to present to the board America's shining example of an angle stop.

Canada has this one made and for good reason!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks