Regen coloring

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by moreira85, Dec 25, 2013.

1. moreira85

moreira85 New Member

I have a well water with 3ppm of iron. I installed a fleck 5600sxt and what a difference it's made. Crystal clear water and no staining in toilets. I have it set to regen every 7 days. I notice every time it regenerates the morning I wake up the water is discolored yellowish until I run the faucet for 3-4 mins then it clears up any thoughts?
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Regen or backwash? My guess is that while it is backwashing, that water is being used, perhaps several sources... R/O filter, icemaker, humidifier, leaking toilet, etc. and so raw water is bypassing the filter filling the lines.
  3. moreira85

moreira85 New Member

Sorry I meant after backwash.
  4. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

You are not rinsing enough. If you can change the fast rinse time it will help. If not, you will need to Regen sooner.
  5. moreira85

moreira85 New Member

Merry Xmas. I have the brine draw set to 60, rapid rinse at 10. I changed the RR to 13 last time around w little improvement. That's what it seems like it's not rinsing it enough. It doesn't seem like the unsoftened water that's coming through, I don't have a leaky toilet or R/O system. It seems like water that was being back washed.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  6. LLigetfa

Brine draw? So then this is a softener, not an iron filter? If so, the regen was the right term. I was confused by the 7 day cycle.

Either way, a softener during regen or a filter during backwash, goes into a bypass mode so the raw water can get by it into the plumbing. If this is on a well system with the pressure rising and falling, and if there is an expansion tank downstream then that too can contribute. A longer fast rinse might not make any difference.
  7. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Please post again some numbers.
    Iron?
    Hardness?
    Mn?
    Number of people?
    Size of unit? as in what was the max capacity from the company you bought it from?
  8. moreira85

moreira85 New Member

40000 grain cap. 2 adults 2 young children. We don't use a lot of water. Iron 1gpg. Iron 3ppm. I'll have to ceck MAnganese but it was Low.
  9. moreira85

moreira85 New Member

If it helps at all the first 4 to 5 weeks there were no issues after back washing.
  10. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Is the iron at 1 or 3 and the hardness?
  11. moreira85

moreira85 New Member

Sorry iron 3ppm. Hardness 1gpg. I have the hardness setting on softener at 17.
  12. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

I was working with a comp hardness of 22 grains and a capacity setting of 25 for the system.
    With say 3 people 75per day that would be 225.. or about 4-5 days.

I am thinking that the unit has been set up to go to long between regens and the media is building up with iron..
  13. moreira85

moreira85 New Member

That's what I had the capacity at 25. So I should adjust the hardness? How often between regents do u suggest?
  14. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

As before I am thinking about a default setting of 5 days and make sure that the reserve is on Fixed Reserve Capacity of say 225gallons or just the 225.
  15. moreira85

moreira85 New Member

Yes it's a softener with a well. It regenerates at night with no water being used while we sleep. There is an expansion tank for hydronic baseboard. It looks like water from the backwash not hard water that got into the plumbing.
  16. moreira85

moreira85 New Member

17. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

So you will increase the brine refill time but not change the default day to 5 from the 7?

I am working on getting the mind around why you are set on so long of a time frame between regen cycles.
  18. moreira85

moreira85 New Member

I'm not set on it. I've regenerated twice in a day then the next and each time the same result. Yellowish water right after the regen.
  19. LLigetfa

Do you have an external trio of bypass valves? If so, humor me and close off the house side while you manually regen and then open it up afterwards to see if you still get yellowish water.

I contend that either there is enough water use or expansion during the cycle to let the dirty backwash water get forward of the softener.
  20. moreira85

moreira85 New Member

I have a shut off after the softener between my softener and sediment filter.