Regarding this Message Board

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Mike50, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

I'm pretty much a veteran of usenet and messageboards for the last 7 years. I work from home so it's worked out well.

Terry's board is a good example of how really effective an internet MB can be.
    I along with others have saved significant money and time by using the pros experience.
    Especially considering being steered away from questionable products.

As nice a guy as my plumber is...he is really only interested in having long
    comprehensive conversations with me when he is "on the clock" which I understand.

This board is unique in that quite a few pros post here.....and some amateur advice can be good.

A couple months ago I thought that Toto was Dorothy's little rat faced dog in the Wizard of Oz. Now I know better....and own one.
    ...the Aquia.....not the little rat faced dog.
    ;)

Mike50
  2. jk60

jk60 Engineer

Mike - I am with you a hundred percent. I found this forum about 4 months ago, and in this short time the plumbing education I've received has been invaluable. The people here are extremely knowledgeable and don't mind sharing this knowledge with amateur DIYers like me. Many thanks to everyone for this great forum!!!

Jerry
  3. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

I couldn't agree more. Great site, and very generous of all, especially the pros, who freely give their time and expertise.
  4. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

Anyone know if we can get this board an award? I think it's that good...and trust me I have been a r o u n d.

Some well known forums really SUK. Sometimes pros do not suffer fools lightly. lol.
    Also...if you have a great board but shitty moderators the whole thing will go south imo. Finding a good moderator is like looking for an honest car salesman.

Mike50
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the nice feedback.

I think we have some pretty smart guys helping people here too.

It's nice that they are willing to share that hard earned knowledge.
    Thanks guys and gals.
  6. Oliver

Oliver New Member

Thanks

The forum is a text book of case studies

Thanks Terry.
  7. prashster

prashster New Member

Come on, guys. Enough with the warm fuzzies. his forum sucks!
    When I joined, I expected to find more plumber jokes.

Where are the cracks about plumbers' cracks?

Where are the quips like "A good flush beats a full house every time"?

Or

Plumbing is the only profession where you'll hear your boss say, "Be sure your joints have lots of dope in them!" ;)
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  8. oldhouse

oldhouse New Member

I agree.

Yes, I too have been around on MANY forums, and this one is very special.
    I love that names are encouraged. Much great info here. Would definately be deserving of an award. We just can't let it go to their heads! :D

Oh and as far a jokes about plumbers crack... I just got an e-mail a few days ago that had a video clip of a comedy central spoof product called 'crack spackle' design just for THAT crack. pretty funny.

Quinn
  9. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

for crissake you're right.... I changed my mind....this forum SUKS! No one has said how much they just love laying pipe for lonely housewives yet.

Weird Al: Plumbing video (4 minutes-high speed connection required)
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=328296830336040642&q=plumber

:D
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  10. prashster

prashster New Member

Rugged, Wha'appened

I think I speak for many when I say that by far, the best thing about this forum is Rugged's old avatar. What happened to that? I cracked up everytime I saw it.

"I put my pants on just one leg at a time - just like normal people. The difference is, when I get my pants on, I make gold records. I gotta have more cow bell!"

I'm dyin! Bring it back!!!
  11. Okay, by popular demand tis shall return.

I also have a dancing shirtless Chris Farley (May he rest in eternal peace) avatar but too large of a gif image.
  12. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

Oh..it's a cowbell. It's early and I was wondering: Why the hell is he hitting his drink like that? It must be really bad... lol
    Man, you beat that thing like a rented mule. I think hobbies are important. How long did it take you to master the cowbell anyway? I understand it can take years...I'm in awe of your talent!!
    :D
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  13. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

GOOD INFO great people

this is the best plumbing site [much better than the R one i'm also on]

this and weld talk are the 2 best sites on the net,in my experiance

having trouble welding Allum or COPPER come see us .YES I can weld copper with my mig. :)
  14. toolaholic

hi cookie ,what scale are we talking about?

is this infrequent jewlrey work? I was a certified welder in the union for years. all of that work was mild steel. allum, stainless I do now, is usually

repair on a small scale. was your husband exposed to metals in his work?

I hope I'm not out of line with that question Cookie. If you need help ,I can

ask for you or set you up with people in the welding trade on several different forums .If I can be of help e mail me. Be well Kevin
  15. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

That is very, very nice tribute Cookie. What a doll. You take care, and may you always have the wind on your back...and the sun on your face.

Mike50
  16. toolaholic

COOKIE ,I wish you lived closer

I would make sure your home stayed in good repair. that's what I've been doing the last 43 yrs. my main trade is carpentry,but I do it all. My son Brian
    along with 3 others repair and remodel homes. your husband was a lucky man, and I'm sure He's looking over all of you . I'll ask the metals question
    for you over at weld talk Be well Uncle Kevin :)
  17. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

I have a new neighbor Cookie. Recently, I woke up one morning only to find about 10 kids wearing yellow T shirts clearing brush and tilling the garden.
    (I live in a semi-rural community near a national park)
    I asked about it and apparently it was a church that does this regularly for
    widows.

There is a senior center that advertises on flyers that they will actually come out and paint your house for free-for widows also.

C'mon out to Palm Springs and I'll hook you up!

Until just recently I had no idea about these programs.
    I'm sorry for those experiences you had with some of those folks. Seriously, decent people are out there. I'm mainly posting this Cookie because there may be similar services where you live....but maybe not aware of them. Doesn't hurt to take a look...

Mike