Regarding this Message Board

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much a veteran of usenet and messageboards for the last 7 years. I work from home so it's worked out well.

Terry's board is a good example of how really effective an internet MB can be.
I along with others have saved significant money and time by using the pros experience.
Especially considering being steered away from questionable products.

As nice a guy as my plumber is...he is really only interested in having long
comprehensive conversations with me when he is "on the clock" which I understand.

This board is unique in that quite a few pros post here.....and some amateur advice can be good.

A couple months ago I thought that Toto was Dorothy's little rat faced dog in the Wizard of Oz. Now I know better....and own one.
...the Aquia.....not the little rat faced dog.
;)

Mike50

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Mike - I am with you a hundred percent. I found this forum about 4 months ago, and in this short time the plumbing education I've received has been invaluable. The people here are extremely knowledgeable and don't mind sharing this knowledge with amateur DIYers like me. Many thanks to everyone for this great forum!!!

Jerry

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. Great site, and very generous of all, especially the pros, who freely give their time and expertise.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if we can get this board an award? I think it's that good...and trust me I have been a r o u n d.

Some well known forums really SUK. Sometimes pros do not suffer fools lightly. lol.
Also...if you have a great board but shitty moderators the whole thing will go south imo. Finding a good moderator is like looking for an honest car salesman.

Mike50

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks for the nice feedback.

I think we have some pretty smart guys helping people here too.

It's nice that they are willing to share that hard earned knowledge.
Thanks guys and gals.

Oliver

Reaction score
Thanks

The forum is a text book of case studies

Thanks Terry.

Prashster

Reaction score
Come on, guys. Enough with the warm fuzzies. his forum sucks!
When I joined, I expected to find more plumber jokes.

Where are the cracks about plumbers' cracks?

Where are the quips like "A good flush beats a full house every time"?

Or

Plumbing is the only profession where you'll hear your boss say, "Be sure your joints have lots of dope in them!" ;)

Last edited:

OldHouse

Reaction score
I agree.

Yes, I too have been around on MANY forums, and this one is very special.
I love that names are encouraged. Much great info here. Would definitely be deserving of an award. We just can't let it go to their heads! :D

Oh and as far a jokes about plumbers crack... I just got an e-mail a few days ago that had a video clip of a comedy central spoof product called 'crack spackle' design just for THAT crack. pretty funny.

Quinn

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
prashster said:
Come on, guys. Enough with the warm fuzzies. his forum sucks!
When I joined, I expected to find more plumber jokes.

for crissake you're right.... I changed my mind....this forum SUKS! No one has said how much they just love laying pipe for lonely housewives yet.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
ugly-thread.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Prashster

Reaction score
Rugged, Wha'appened

I think I speak for many when I say that by far, the best thing about this forum is Rugged's old avatar. What happened to that? I cracked up everytime I saw it.

"I put my pants on just one leg at a time - just like normal people. The difference is, when I get my pants on, I make gold records. I gotta have more cow bell!"

I'm dyin! Bring it back!!!

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
RUGGED said:
Okay, by popular demand tis shall return.

I also have a dancing shirtless Chris Farley (May he rest in eternal peace) avatar but too large of a gif image.

Oh..it's a cowbell. It's early and I was wondering: Why the hell is he hitting his drink like that? It must be really bad... lol
Man, you beat that thing like a rented mule. I think hobbies are important. How long did it take you to master the cowbell anyway? I understand it can take years...I'm in awe of your talent!!
:D

Last edited:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
GOOD INFO great people

this is the best plumbing site [much better than the R one i'm also on]

this and weld talk are the 2 best sites on the net,in my experiance

having trouble welding Allum or COPPER come see us .YES I can weld copper with my mig. :)

Toolaholic

Reaction score
hi cookie ,what scale are we talking about?

is this infrequent jewlrey work? I was a certified welder in the union for years. all of that work was mild steel. allum, stainless I do now, is usually

repair on a small scale. was your husband exposed to metals in his work?

I hope I'm not out of line with that question Cookie. If you need help ,I can

ask for you or set you up with people in the welding trade on several different forums .If I can be of help e mail me. Be well Kevin

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That is very, very nice tribute Cookie. What a doll. You take care, and may you always have the wind on your back...and the sun on your face.

Mike50

Toolaholic

Reaction score
COOKIE ,I wish you lived closer

I would make sure your home stayed in good repair. that's what I've been doing the last 43 yrs. my main trade is carpentry,but I do it all. My son Brian
along with 3 others repair and remodel homes. your husband was a lucky man, and I'm sure He's looking over all of you . I'll ask the metals question
for you over at weld talk Be well Uncle Kevin :)

Cookie

Reaction score
Thanks Kevin for everything. We are getting by, somedays better than others, but I think my husband would be proud. I know it has been hard on my younger son kind of bittersweet for him in someways, but he is a man much like his dad. My older son is a worker bee words I am quoting from my husband many times. We have been very lucky.My husband had asked me before his death, "don't you feel like the unluckiest person in the world?" It really took me no time to answser. "No."

He was referring to the many hardships and out of the ordinary circumstances I have had to endure. But to be honest, like I told him, "I have you and the kids and even or maybe, because of the circumstances, I have never been happier."

I have laughed for the last 24 years and I don't know how many people can honestly say that. I have been the lucky one. I got to admit, after my husband died, I thought about what he asked me but, I still can't see myself as the unluckiest person in the world. My God, I had for 24 years the most wonderful man in the world.

I am lucky also in being I found this message board where I can gain some knowledge about household things. For instance, if I would had found this site before I bought this Cinnamon Toilet, I would never had bought it. And, most likely not have some of the problems connected to it. Sure, people sometimes think ...only...a toilet. But, when you are in there unclogging it every other day, after having had it reset 5 x's---that is what makes me nuts. And, feel very unlucky. But, I was lucky in finding such a good site.

If it leaks one more time, it is going. And, given horrendous trouble I have had with this bathroom, I am then getting the caddy of toilets recommeneded on this site.

I feel lucky in finding this site because it gives me an edge when something pops up. I don't have to guess at it. Or let my fingers do the walking. I might still have to get a plumber or contractor, but, I can come here and get enough of information so that I know ahead of time what the contractor or plumber here is talking about. I have an edge in not getting taken advantage of. Boy, do I hate that.

I thought to myself many times over the course of the bathroom, why can't these people who are giving me quotes or doing the work, look past my feminine mystique and see, there is also a set of brains at work, along with the senses enough to know bullshit when I hear it, or see it or smell it. I felt badly at finding so many dishonest people who climbed out of the woodwork when they heard the word, widow. I never associated that word to money but they thought this would be a moneymaker. Not so, and asked so many people to leave my home because of it. Even though small I am mighty and bounced them out on their ear. THAT would make my husband proud.

But, without getting the knowledge on somethings here, about prices, what to expect, I can't help but think how much worse it all could had been.

So, even if this sounds like fluff it isn't. If I knew a plumbers joke I would tell it, clean or not. ;)

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a new neighbor Cookie. Recently, I woke up one morning only to find about 10 kids wearing yellow T shirts clearing brush and tilling the garden.
(I live in a semi-rural community near a national park)
I asked about it and apparently it was a church that does this regularly for
widows.

There is a senior center that advertises on flyers that they will actually come out and paint your house for free-for widows also.

C'mon out to Palm Springs and I'll hook you up!

Until just recently I had no idea about these programs.
I'm sorry for those experiences you had with some of those folks. Seriously, decent people are out there. I'm mainly posting this Cookie because there may be similar services where you live....but maybe not aware of them. Doesn't hurt to take a look...

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks