Refrigerator water line - HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

pandora

Reaction score
I have not had a water line for my refrigerator for almost 1 year. I have spent over $600 for 3 visits from the same plumbing company and still no working line. They tell me for another $650 they can replace the entire line up to code! Why they did not say this at the start I don't get, but I am done with them for any further plumbing issues. My line is 'plastic' or PVC (it's clear and looks like plastic? I don't know?) and runs through the back wall and then down into the basement through the floor. It then is run along some metal studs and it is tapped into the water line that goes into the hot water heater. Well, I first discovered it was leaking when the sheet rock on the basement ceiling collapsed. (of course, the line had to run above the one and only spot that had sheet rock!) They came out and accessed the situation and patched the leak with a coupling thing. ($300) Four days later that patch was leaking. Came out fixed for free. The next week a new leak sprung from the same line close to the water heater. They came out and patched that for another $300. Then I was told that it was against current code the way it was tapped into the main water line and that they could not replace the entire line without bringing it up to code and that would be $600-$650 dollars. I was livid...I already had paid $600 for these lame patches - why?
Anyway, here it is a year later and I am sick of not having ice. I am sure I can do this myself and wanted to know if this sounds doable. My refrigerator backs up to the wall of my laundry room. Can I run a line and tap into the cold water line that runs to the washing machine. (they are in a recessed box directly behind the washer and it is on the same wall that the refrigerator backs up to.) Could a plumber do this for a fairly cheap rate?
There has got to be an easy way to do this that should not cost me $650! Personally I think this plumbing company should come fix my line for free or the minimum service charge - have you ever heard of such an outrageous cost to repair a line and yet it still does not work?
Sorry I am complaining here, but there has got to be a simple answer to my problem. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you for your time.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Way too much money for this job. Here's a description of how I did mine. I first tapped into my 1/2" cold water supply in the basement and installed a ball valve at that point. I wanted the pipe to come through the floor into the wall cavity behind the refrigerator, so I drilled a hole at that point. I then ran 1/2" copper from the ball valve and up into the wall cavity using an elbow. At that point I reduced the 1/2" copper to stainless steel braided flex hose. The flex allows the refrigerator to be pulled in and out without problems. That's it. They do make connector boxes that will make a more attractive connections point at the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The first repair should have cost about $1.00 plus their labor charge. Changing the whole line should cost less than $20.00 plus that SAME labor charge because it should only require the minimum charge to do it.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are many ways to easily connect the ice maker into the washing machine cold water line or any other cold water line.

You could use a 3/4" Wye Hose fitting with a ¾ inch female hose thread X ¼ inch compression adapter to make the connection. Super easy.
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/brass-hose-adapter-swivel-compression-34fht-38comp.jpg
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/hoseadap.html

Example of a 3/4 in. FHT x MHT x MHT Hose Wye
http://www.sears.com/lasco-15-1731-...12010928919?prdNo=50&blockNo=50&blockType=G50

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score

Wade Lippman

Reaction score
What did they do for $600? Where did it leak? What is a "coupling thing"?
Assuming there is reasonable access, it couldn't take more than a couple hours to replace the whole thing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A plumber can use the cold line to the washer for the icemaker.
It's nice that it's on the same wall, back to back.
I run either copper or PEX for mine. A nice ice box with hammer arrestor, and a braided stainless line for the final connection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks