Refrigerator shutoff valve failure

Users who are viewing this thread

Tennant

Reaction score
I recently closed the shut off valve behind my refrigerator (compression valve) and, though it seemed to be okay at the time, the next day I found that the valve started leaking. I don't think this valve has been used in a very long time, it has probably been open for 10 to 20 years.

Do these valves just go bad like that, or was it likely something I did wrong?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
The twist/screw-in valve type tends to go bad faster, especially if you don't use it much as minerals can build up inside. There may be a nut just under the handle that you can tighten a little to stop the leak.
The "quarter-turn" style tend to last longer.
But if you got 20 years out of it - you did pretty good.

Tennant

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys.

We ended up removing the valve and capping the line. There were some damages caused by the leak. At this point my landlord and I are trying to determine fault and how to divvy up the cost of the water damage mitigation (~$2000).

Terry, in your professional opinion, is it likely that a compression valve that hasn't been used in 20 years would go bad. How likely do you think it was that the valve was not in working order when I tried to turn it off?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is not a legal advice, but here in CA, if there was a shut off valve behind the fridge at the time you moved in - it would be the responsibility of the landlord to make sure it was in good working order and didn't leak. If you, the tenant, installed it - it would be yours to deal with. There are a few more possible situations...that might get even more involved.

If your landlord asks you to pay for the damage or part of the damage and you disagree, consider calling a real estate lawyer. If you agree because you love the place, then work a deal with your landlord.

Now about the shut off valve: an unused 20 year old multi-turn valve with a plastic stem can go bad anytime. I've had brand new valves leak at the first use. Even the modern 1/4 turn valves can fail right off the bat. Don't forget, these valves are mass produced and are under pressure 24/7.

Last note: Insurance would have come handy here (unless the insurance company found a reason not to pay).

JRC3

Reaction score
Just curious why you closed the valve. Did the fridge have a problem so you had to disconnect the water supply?

Last note: Insurance would have come handy here (unless the insurance company found a reason not to pay).
Maybe...Back when I rented I specifically asked about water damage and they wanted extra to cover it. I meant damage to my property from something like a burst pipe, they thought I meant water damage from my fault or neglect causing damage to the dwelling.

In my mind a leaking fixture is the responsibility of the landlord. Unless the tenant knew about it and didn't do anything about it in a timely manner, like try to contact the landlord or a plumber in a severe case.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks