Redundant Outdoor Drainage Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
This should be a no-brainer nonetheless I'm unsure about this situation.
My Lot is situated atop a manmade 30 degree slope. Home built in 1977.

There is a flat area on the street side which needs a little drainage during a heavy rain.
So..someone installed a black 3 inch subterranean drainage pipe. Because of erosion it's only buried a few inches deep. It is about 45 feet long and empties onto the street.

An 18 foot section has always bowed up a little and I've been covering it up with dirt/sand (this is desert) a few times a year.

There is also a redundant 4 inch gray pipe directly parallel to it, layed Im assuming years afterward. Both are plastic material. Obviously more drainage was needed-I'm assuming during a Heavy rain winter.

Anyway, about 3 or 4 weeks ago the black 3 inch pipe, because of record heat here--bowed up and *out* of the ground. (18 foot section)

It just popped up.

It's quite visible and I'd have to pour a small hill of sand on top to conceal it now.

This is strickly cosmetic. I tested both pipes and they flow just fine.
The smaller black pipe is in worse condition than the larger gray one.

Someone just dumped some concrete and rocks on both ends to keep it in the ground. No plumber or contractor would have done this obvious amateur job.

I can see where my lot would have had much more erosion--(over the years anyway) if it was not there.

FYI-Neighbors in lower areas and across the street have some fairly serious road erosion issues (only in very heavy rain).
They have had to replace some small segments of asphalt on occasion.
But it doesn't affect me as I'm on the hill.

Eventually something has to be done. Looks pretty bad.
Because of age it is NOT worth salvaging.

I don't know if I can safely remove the smaller black pipe or not.
Heavy winter rain is the concern.

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I don't know how to decide if I can remove the older pipe or not. I want to.
Im still unclear why there are 2 in the first place.

Waiting for torrential rain seems stupid. (to see if extra drainage or not)
Looking for options that include removing it.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm surprised your allowed to just pipe runoff water to dump in the street, but the drainage system you have, even if it is getting rid of the water, is pretty poorly done by your description. I'd look into installing sort of a drainfield. Dig a trench, fill the bottom with drain rock, then pipe with the drain pipe that has holes spaced every foot or so. Since you have sandy soil, this should easily handle the occasional but heavy rain you have. Trench deep enough that everything is buried deep enough to stay put.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
I'm surprised your allowed to just pipe runoff water to dump in the street, but the drainage system you have, even if it is getting rid of the water, is pretty poorly done by your description. I'd look into installing sort of a drainfield. Dig a trench, fill the bottom with drain rock, then pipe with the drain pipe that has holes spaced every foot or so. Since you have sandy soil, this should easily handle the occasional but heavy rain you have. Trench deep enough that everything is buried deep enough to stay put.

I know what you mean Gary. It doesn't seem like that would be up to "code".
And yes, you're correct just about any option is available--because there is no question about soil drainage in the desert.

It's gray and black pipes that go into the street.
FYI-This town is designated as a rustic and unincorporated area of San Bernardino county. Few residential streetlights. No curbs or sidewalks. Just sand to asphalt.

(this is horse country up here)

Prashster

Reaction score
Also Google French Drain. Sounds like that's what they were attempting to make. The key to a good FD is the supporting gravel. The pipe only provides a channel for drainage. The gravel keeps debris out of the pipe and allows water to find the pipe.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Gary Swart said:

I missed that post. That sounds like a hell of a good idea--if it works during a heavy rain.

prashster said:
Also Google French Drain. Sounds like that's what they were attempting to make. The key to a good FD is the supporting gravel. The pipe only provides a channel for drainage. The gravel keeps debris out of the pipe and allows water to find the pipe.

Makes good sense to me.
I have a feeling what happened was they had a flood up here and the owner panicked and threw a pipe in the ground only 2 inches deep (!) with a couple bags of cement on both ends to hold it down on the slope. It's taking me years to upgrade a lot of screwy things just like this around here.

Last edited:
R

Rancher

Mike,

Like you I live in the desert, it is quite common to pipe rain runoff down slopes to where they won't errode the land/dirt. Code? Here in AZ the only statute is what runs onto your property must run off, how you channel it is really up to the homeowner. Your pipe is probably growing out of the ground due to errosion and the fact that in the sun those pipes will get hot and grow.

Solution, trench in some new drain pipes and do it right this time.

Rancher

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Rancher said:
Mike,

Like you I live in the desert, it is quite common to pipe rain runoff down slopes to where they won't errode the land/dirt. Code? Here in AZ the only statute is what runs onto your property must run off, how you channel it is really up to the homeowner. Your pipe is probably growing out of the ground due to errosion and the fact that in the sun those pipes will get hot and grow.

Solution, trench in some new drain pipes and do it right this time.

Rancher

You're right. And I will. I'm going to wait until the first heavy rain so I can see first hand if this much drainage is actually needed now.
I just need to decide whether to just remove this damn thing before then or not....so I dont have to look at it until the rain comes (if it does at all).

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks