reducing flange

Users who are viewing this thread

wwimberley

Reaction score
I got into a situation where I ended up buying a toilet flange from ******* that fits 'inside' 3" PVC. The waste opening of course is now reduced to approx. 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 inch and I'm wondering what code says. This all cam e to be from raising an existing floor and then trying to deal with the existing flange that was cracked. In retrospect I should have added the 3" pipe stub and looked for a new flange that fit over that, not inside it. Anyway, everythings glued up at this point and I'm wondering if that reducing flange will work or if I need to tear everything back out and start over.

Clear as mud???

thanks

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The guys here do not favour an inside-fit flange on 3-inch pipe. The issue is that there is no room inside the flange let the horn of the toilet down into. Are you at a point where you can test fit your toilet to see if it fits over the flange properly? If so, I would recommend doing a test fit. Only consider tearing out your work if the toilet won't fit.

There would be alternatives to a complete tear out and re-do of the riser. A professional can bore out the flange from the inside leaving the riser intact and ready to accept an outside-fit flange. You may be able to cut the main part of the flange off with a flush-cut saw and then carefully cut with a hacksaw blade and peel out the remaining part of the flange from inside the pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

This is a case of doing something the "easy way", and creating a problem which would have been much easier to cure before the easy fix. I would NEVER leave an internal 3" flange in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks