Reducing a Pump's Output Flow Rate

Users who are viewing this thread

zapatero

Reaction score
Can a pump's output flow rate be reduced by inserting a valve at the pump's outlet? Specifically, I am talking about a centrifugal submersible pump, and about inserting a globe or gate valve at the pump's outlet.

I have been given both yes and no answers to this question by people whose opinions I respect. Please tell me your opinion(s).

I can provide more detail as well as my reasons if you want them; I am just trying to not complicate things.

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. You should also look up "Dole valve" too, for a valve that is calibrated to limit the flow rate. You must keep sufficient flow to cool the pump.

I am not a pro.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is exactly what a Cycle Stop Valve does except that it restricts the pump output to match the amount being used down to as little as 1 GPM. People who understand pumps know this is a good thing. People who do not understand pumps think restricting the pumps output is bad for the pump. Unfortunately there are more people who think they know how pumps work but really don't have a clue, than there are people who really do understand pumps.

zapatero

Reaction score
<grin> Thank you for your amusing reply valveman! <grin>

I am the first to admit that I DON'T know pumps. (Thus my original question.) After pondering the question for a while it seems to me that reducing a pump's output flow with a valve on the output side is equivalent to moving up and to the left on that pump's performance curve isn't it? In other words -- it increases the operating head, which decreases the output flow rate.

And, (agreeing with you), whether or not it is bad for the pump to throttle the output down with a valve; is the same thing as asking whether it is bad for the pump to have a bunch of elbows and tees and long lengths of pipe on the output side of the pump isn't it? They both increase the operating head.

Thanks for the tips on the CSV and Dole valve guys -- I will check out both of them.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes, very good analogy. Or put in an another way it is the same as making the pump think the well is deeper. And the pump will work fine anywhere above 1 GPM on that curve you talk about.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks