Reducing 6" to 4" on exhaust duct

Users who are viewing this thread

smakovits

Reaction score
I just got a NuTone QTXEN110 and it is much larger than the old fan and also uses a 6" exhaust. The old fan is connected to a 4" exhaust duct. Is it OK to use a reducer and go from 6" to 4" or would that be bad for the fan? The bathroom is 45sqft with 8' ceilings so I believe the 110cfm exhaust is more than large enough, therefore, if it did not function to capacity, I dont see it as a total issue, although I dont want this to stress the fan causing issues. Although, I will leave it to the folks with experience to get the right solution.

Also, the exhaust duct appears to just run to the eave/ridge/(I dont know the exact term) There is no actual cap at the end as far as I can tell, so I believe it is just venting out the ridge vents. Is this OK? It is in my attic and just want to confirm that the configuration and setup is OK and done in such a manor that will lead to moisture being pumped into the attic as opposed to outside.

Thanks guys.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It probably will end up noisier and won't push as much air. Fan life probably won't change much. Venting into the soffit isn't a good idea. Much better to run it either through the roof, or a gable end wall. If you are going to run it to a new position, why not just run new duct?

smakovits

Reaction score
It probably will end up noisier and won't push as much air. Fan life probably won't change much. Venting into the soffit isn't a good idea. Much better to run it either through the roof, or a gable end wall. If you are going to run it to a new position, why not just run new duct?

Yeah, I will most likely want to exhaust it outside, so I will then replace it with 6". The only issue now is figuring out where to exhaust to...UGH! (ceiling or wall and the big question, how)

May have to pay a guy to just do it.

smakovits

Reaction score
A 4" duct is more than enough to handle 110CFM

OK, but if I use the 4" duct, what are your thoughts on the venting only to the soft vent?

I misspoke before, it goes to the sofit vent instead of the ridge vent as originally stated...

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
A 4" duct is more than enough to handle 110CFM

Too much static pressure for the fan. As stated above it will be noisier and will likely not pull 110 cfm.

OP, why not get the 50cfm model instead. As for termination point why not inspect to see if YOU actually have a problem before you go changing things.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Too much static pressure for the fan. As stated above it will be noisier and will likely not pull 110 cfm.

OP, why not get the 50cfm model instead. As for termination point why not inspect to see if YOU actually have a problem before you go changing things.

There are two factors to consider regarding the flow curve, CFM and water column (strength of vacuum). If the 50 CFM fan has twice the lift, then I would recommend that choice since the space is small.

smakovits

Reaction score

What do you mean to see if I have a problem? Do you mean to crawl out to th corner to see how the exhaust runs to sofit vent and to see if it is blowing out properly?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There could be mold, mildew, rot where the old fan was exhausting...you won't know if you don't look. Keep in mind that the soffit vents are designed to be inputs to the attic...and exhaust out the ridge vent. So, what goes out from your bath exhaust fan will want to rise right back up through adjacent inlets back into the attic. In the winter, you could end up with frost on the inside of the roof deck, or wet insulation. None of these things are good.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
There could be mold, mildew, rot where the old fan was exhausting...you won't know if you don't look. Keep in mind that the soffit vents are designed to be inputs to the attic...and exhaust out the ridge vent. So, what goes out from your bath exhaust fan will want to rise right back up through adjacent inlets back into the attic. In the winter, you could end up with frost on the inside of the roof deck, or wet insulation. None of these things are good.

All very good points! My choice to vent is the gable side of the home with a standard dryer vent. It is much easier to install too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks