reduce sand in lines with a smaller pump or extend time between pump cycles

Users who are viewing this thread

Timbuktu

Reaction score
reduce sand in lines without using filters

I dont recall the size of my pump right now (1 or 1.5 hp),but I was told by a well man a few years ago that
he thought the pump might be too large cause Im sucking some sand and clay up.

i have determined that the reservoir 380 ft down reaches its capacity of about 255 gal.after a 4-6 hour recovery / fill time.

With the pump tec set at its current 1.5 hrs pump cycles it is pulling up only the 75 gal that 1.5 hrs allows to fill the reservoir.

Maybe that small amount of water (75 gal) with the pump agitation is why the sand and clay come up.
What if I cycle the pump only when there is more water,say 255 gal and have it shut off sooner well before its drawn down to the 75 gal mark ?
Is that a solution to the sand and clay coming up?
How can i make the pump shut off sooner during the pumping phase to accomplish this?

Trying to minimize the agitation caused by the larger HP pump I now have...Would a smaller ,lower output,pump solve this ajitation issue?
Whats the minimum size pump acceptablefor 380 feet deep well with 150 ft static
My water demands are low . My drip system uses 800gal per day,but my storage tank and the jet pump take care of that fine.

Goal:decrease the sand and clay agitation

1- Would a smaller ,lower output,pump solve this agitation issue?

2- What if I cycle the pump only when there is more water,say 255 gal and have it shut off sooner... well before its drawn down to the 75 gal mark ?

3- How can i make the pump shut off sooner during the pumping phase ?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sometimes drawing water more slowly from the well will help. But you don't need a samller pump to try this. Just choke it back with a ball valve. It will take longer to fill the tank, but it maybe cleaner.

Timbuktu

Reaction score
ust choke it back with a ball valve

You mean by simply restricting the flow of water being pumped up and out into the storage tank. That simple?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks