Redesigning plumbing for 2 bathrooms directly above each other in house

Users who are viewing this thread

Makesumwake

Reaction score
From referencing the 2014 code and appendix N with examples, some plumbing setups that used to not be allowed, are now allowed, or so it appears.

Please see attached diagram of my new plumbing setup plan for 2 bathrooms directly over eachother.
im changing the floor plan and had to move the location of the 3in vent, which would have been in the middle of the bedroom otherwise.

Will there be any code issues or problems with this?

Thanks
-phil

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That isn't going to work.
Wet venting can be for two bathroom on the same level.
The waste stack from above does not vent the lower bathroom.
You can't run a water closet past the other fixtures.
The lav upstairs needs a vent within five feet of the p-trap.

Downstairs
The shower needs a vent before it ties into the water closet line.
The lav can wet vent the toilet if run with 2", and then goes to the second floor and can revent at 42" above the floor there.

2nd floor
The bidet needs a vent before it hits the water closet line.
The lav needs a vent within five feet of the trap.
The upstairs bathroom ties in below the first floor bath, not above it.

dwv_b1.jpg

Makesumwake

Reaction score
Terry,

thanks for the detailed response!!!!!

ive updated my drawing based on what you said.

>The lav upstairs needs a vent within five feet of the p-trap.
the upstairs sink is 2in pipe at 1/4in per foot slope, the trap of which can be 8ft from the vent, per the florida building code (my upstairs sink trap is 6 ft from the 3in main vent), so i believe its ok.

>The shower needs a vent before it ties into the water closet line.

i vented the line with the sink as you suggested.

Bath 2 and 4 - revision 3.jpg

as shown in some example plumbing diagrams in 2014 florida code, it seems to be allowed for a shower to drain into 3in line downstream of a WC as long as the line is vented.

New Picture (3).jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The bidet is still not vented properly. WHoever drew that diagram was NOT a plumber or code official, because NEITHER the tub or shower is vented and would NOT pass inspection anywhere a "good" code is enforced, (so maybe it would pass an IPC inspection).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I agree with hj. The provided detail would not pass where I plumb, and for good reasons.

A toilet should not pass by another fixture, as it will pull the water from the trap unless there is a vent between so it can pull air, and not the water from the trap. The whole point is to prevent a toilet from sucking the water from the traps. You are way better off buying a little more pipe and fittings and getting it right.

Max trap arm lengths
1.5", 42"
2.0", 60"
3.0" 72"

Makesumwake

Reaction score
thanks, ive redrawn it.

again, this isn't the best way to do it, its just the way i CAN do it, because im very space constrained, 2nd story floor is solid concrete with tons of rebar in it.
so as long as its legal, ill be happy

im still confused on 3005.5 - what does it mean? someone have a diagram?
"P3005.5 Connections to offsets and bases of stacks.
Horizontal branches shall connect to the bases of stacks at a point located not less than 10 times the diameter of the drainage stack downstream from the stack. Horizontal branches shall connect to horizontal stack offsets at a point located not less than 10 times the diameter of the drainage stack downstream from the upper stack."

NOTES:
florida code allowes 2in sink arm pipe to extend 8ft from vent. it also appears to allow WC to pass other fixtures as long as there is a vent upstream, as in the diagram ive posted above from the actual 2014 florida code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks