Red Juice is not Performing well!

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Flushman, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Flushman

Flushman New Member

I recently got some "Red Juice" and I put it in the bowl of my toilet, and now the toilet is stained under the waterline. I used SOS pads trying to get it off, but it has left a nasty blackish stain. Do you have any ideas of how to get rid of the stain? :confused: By the way the Aquia Cst414M looks like a ferrari. :eek:
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Not sure what "red juce" is but try bleach.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would never use steel wool on porcelain.

You might try some bowl cleaners that are sold in the cleaning section of the food stores.
  4. Porcelain and steel don't work well together. Using more abrasives is not a great idea but I'm going to suggest one anyway, because it's the only one I've found to work for me. The blackish stain should come off with dry Comet cleanser (but not necessarily with other scouring powders, I've tried them). Plunge or dip out most of the water, dust on the Comet, wipe it around with a plastic scrubber (we use a plastic Chore Boy). Let it sit for 5 minutes so the bleaching action can work for you, then rinse it off. If it seems to work but does not take all the black out, try again and let it sit for 10 minutes.

[​IMG]

If there is any red stain left after the Comet, it should come out with Oxyclean (as seen on TV). That stuff pretty much works miracles around our house. Even the really cheap knock-off brands (like Sun) should work. You can get either one at Wal-Mart.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
  5. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

I also am disappointed with red juice after using it around the kitchen. Now I won't get the stuff near my new toilet(s).
    Im experimenting with the Teflon clorox (for maintainence cleaning) that Terry suggested.

Im a big believer in surfactants after using Rain-X on my car windshield for 5 years now.
    In many cases I do NOT need to use my windshield wipers in the rain.
    It's that good at repelling water.

That Oxyclean stuff is amazing.
    I used a concentrated mix to clean a 3 year old grease outside BBQ drip pan with
    baked on thick filth which I thought was hopeless.
    Cleaned it down to bare paint in about 2 minutes after 2 scrubbings.

Mike
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2009
  6. So Red Juice is a cleaning product of some sort and not a drink?
  7. INTP

INTP New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
  8. Flushman

Flushman New Member

You don't know "Red Juice"!

How could you not know "Red juice"?! Everyone is constantly talking about Red Juice's amazing toilet-cleaning abilities! :mad: Jeez!

The Flushman :cool:
  9. Cass

Cass Plumber

If you can't get the stain out call the company and complain. Maybe they will buy you a new toilet. Is there a warning on the lable?
  10. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

I tried Red Juice on numerous types of household dirt, grime and stains. "Cleaned" my microwave with it-now it's one big grease smear. Worse! Dumped it down the drain and filled the bottle with water and vinegar.

It's this happy smiling independent "green" product. Ingredients do include
    I believe some organic oils. And in case you wondered they do make...
    Blue Juice (for windows). arghh.

"Whirlpool Microwave Cleaner" contains an industrial solvent that can be used safely on many surfaces. It's Glycolether. Haven't used it in the bathroom but
    it will clean any synthetic/glass surface better than anything I've ever used.
    It's under 4 dollars from Whirlpool website.
    Cursory research reveals that it is used by electronics manufacturers, commercial carpet cleaners and others.
    It IS a solvent (no odor) so I wouldnt go around spraying your car with this stuff.

Buying this red crap is a really good lesson in not taking internet recommendations without doing the research before buying.
    So...why is my recommendation different? Because it's single ingredient is a solvent that has been used for over 80 years in industry.

"Look it up" -Yogi Berra

Mike
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  11. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

steel wool

I would not either. UNFORTUNATELY, I was not always smart enough to know that! Many years ago, I had the bright idea to try and clean a stain on a shower tile. Steel wool takes the glaze right down to a dirty, rough matte finish! A toilet is probably harder than a wall tile, but don't do it!
    Even SOS, which is superfine, and is used on kitchen sinks, I would not use it.

What you can use on toilets very effectively is pumice sticks. These are very effecive on mineral buildups and rust , and as far as I know are completely safe for porcelain.
  12. Flushman

Flushman New Member

Ack!

None of these suggestions seem to work! Ahhh! Help!
  13. Cass

Cass Plumber

Did you call the company?????
  14. Cass

Cass Plumber

Rain X is a coating / microscopic hole filler, not a surfactant. Just FYI.
  15. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

I have a feeling we must be talking about at least 2 different products. I've been using the "Red Juice" offered through The Clean Team for about 7 years. I don't see how this stuff could possibly permanently stain a toilet (or anything else, for that matter). It is a water-based cleaner which can be used for laundry stain removal (including whites).

In terms of degreasing, in its undiluted form, this stuff has been used to degrease diesel engines, and I've used it to clean everything from toilets to greasy stovetops to carpet with great success. It's cheap, too, if you buy it concentrated and mix it yourself. It does work best if you use it the way the Clean Team recommends -- using cotton napkins rather than paper towels, and without rinsing -- just spray and wipe.

I have no financial interest in the company or its products -- just want to put in my 2 cents worth on what I think is a great product.
  16. Flushman

Flushman New Member

Hey! Do you think the flushman is too stupid to know what I've bought? I'm getting really angry cuz everybody thinks it's a big shit stain on my toilet!
  17. Cass

Cass Plumber

Hey, your getting a little rude. You still didn't say if you called the company.
  18. Flushman

Flushman New Member

Sorry

Sorry If I'm getting rude, it's just that I'm trying to sell my house, and I'm getting stressed because this THING looks really bad! :( Anyways, to answer your question, I did call the company and they put me through after an hour of waiting. /but sadly they can't refund it or anything.
  19. kstuart

kstuart New Member

I doubt that - they are highly abrasive !

UPDATE: Toto specifically says not to use pumice sticks:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006

20. Most normal people would not spend an hour on the phone whining about stains in their toilet. They would understand that enough effort was taken initially to clean it, it failed miserably, time to call a plumber and replace it and be done with it. Less effort and the finished result is a good one. But that would be too easy wouldn't it? Carry on........