Recurring Wire Breaking on Well Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

charlesb

Reaction score
So they put a pump down the well and just tape the electrical connections ?

That must be some expensive tape.

Sounds half fast to me. Seems a splice kit for under water is in order.
I think they do use a splice kit similar to what I use for underground wire. The taping we are referring to is just to keep the wire close to the pipe so that it is less likely to flop around and rub against the rock when the pump starts and stops.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I get it now.

It is the tape that falls down the well and plugs the pump intake.

I am just playing.

Good Luck.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Update: The pump quit again on 2-27-15 (4 months later), so I called the new pump man. At first he recommended replacing the black poly pipe with threaded PVC pipe. But when we pulled the pump, he noticed that the wire was just standard solid wire, and that it was not taped as well as he thought it should be. And when I told him that the original pump had worked fine without incident for some twenty years, he said he would not be opposed to giving the poly pipe one more try using proper stranded well wire and taping it more tightly. He said he was comfortable with either approach. Since going to PVC pipe would be a fairly substantial cost and would restrict me to having to use someone with specialized equipment like he has in the future, I decided to give the poly pipe one more try. Five months later, so far so good. If it fails again, then I will switch to schedule 80 PVC.

I really like the new pump man. Although he had an opinion when he first came, he looked at the situation and the history, and them modified his recommendation. He said that if it were his well, he would switch to PVC pipe, but then he has the equipment to replace it easily. He said that if he were in my situation, he very well might decide to give the poly pipe another try.

Every time the pump cycles on and off you bend the wire back and forth.
If only there was something that would greatly reduce, eliminate, or maybe just stop pump cycling. :)

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Got these new fangled things called torque arrestors that when installed correctly keep the pipe from whipping around when the pump cycles...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks