Reconditioning a deck with rusted screws

Users who are viewing this thread

thegallery

Reaction score
My neighbor's deck seems to be OK except the builder used drywall screws! They are rusting. Some are backing out on their own, and some break when you try to remove them.

1. Should we try to remove the screws we can, or try to sink them in? And if we sink in and the head breaks should we dig it out?
  2. Should we replace them with deck screws in the same hole? and drill next to it if that hole is still blocked by an old screw?
  3. Would it work to just use some outdoor nails to accomplish the same task? (I notice new deck screws seem to use a star driver).
We realize that between the old screw holes and new there wont be the same uniformity in how it all looks. The finish needs to be redone. Our thought is to simply go over it all with one of the newer deck restorers. I think Olympic makes one they call a 2x coat, and one they call a 10x Coat, (though I'm not sure sure I quite understand the difference because the 2x is more expensive). However these look to be an adequate solution to restoring the finish. Deck size is about 15x15 and. the plan would be to remove and replace the screws as best as possible, give it all a clean and sand, and then use a restorative finish. I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions? Thanks very much

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your plan may work, so go for it.

post some "after" photos when you're done.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
After you get all the screws out that will unscrew, the lift the boards off the ones that broke off the unscrew them with pliers. The reattach with longer deck screws, which use a square drive.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another thing: when you pull the planks out, turn them over and see if the other side is in good shape.

I've done this numerous times, when the bottom side looked "like new", and got another 15 years out of those boards.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks