Recommended Fleck 5600SXT program settings

Users who are viewing this thread

Sigo

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on programming our 5600SXT.
Model: 5600SXT-64M Water Softener
Specs: 12 x 48" mineral tank
2.0 cu. ft. high capacity resin
18 x 33" brine tank
2310 brine float
salt platform
3/4" stainless steel bypass valve
4 bedroom home with 2 full time adults
Water hardness: 400 MG/L, no iron (from water provider)

Would appreciate your recommended settings with the goal of keeping the water softened while conserving salt and water. Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the BLFC? Look for a sticker near where the drain line attaches to the controller.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Do you have a Hach 5B test kit? You need the hardness. GPG can be ascertained (guessed) from the mg/l of hardness but... get a Hach 5B to get the actual GPG hardness.

Reach4

Reaction score
Drain flow equals 4.0 gpm

How about Brine Level Flow Control? The label may look like this:
index.php

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
BLFC stands for Brine Line Flow Control.

The usable softening capacity of the softener, is programmed by the total salt utilized to regenerate each cycle. The setting for the salt utilized each regeneration takes into account the fill time X the flow rate to replace the water in the brine tank as 1 gallon of water will dissolve 3 lbs/salt. The BLFC info must be accurate.

That photo which R4 included, shows the BLFC information on the Black sticker, not the White one. R4's example shows 0.5 gpm - 1.5 lbs salt/minute. While your sticker maybe a different colour, 1.0 appears to be too high as it is generally .125, .25 or .5 gpm. Less flow permits greater control over salt usage.

If the BLFC sticker was not included, you will need to remove the brine line from the control valve to view which number is embossed on the small black washer (flow control button) contained within the valve's brine port.

Last edited:

Sigo

Reaction score
BLFC stands for Brine Line Flow Control.

The usable softening capacity of the softener, is programmed by the total salt utilized to regenerate each cycle. The setting for the salt utilized each regeneration takes into account the fill time X the flow rate to replace the water in the brine tank as 1 gallon of water will dissolve 3 lbs/salt. The BLFC info must be accurate.

That photo which R4 included, shows the BLFC information on the Black sticker, not the White one. R4's example shows 0.5 gpm - 1.5 lbs salt/minute. While your sticker maybe a different colour, 1.0 appears to be too high as it is generally .125, .25 or .5 gpm. Less flow permits greater control over salt usage.

If the BLFC sticker was not included, you will need to remove the brine line from the control valve to view which number is embossed on the small black washer (flow control button) contained within the valve's brine port.

Thanks Bannerman. That is helpful. There isn't a label that I can tell - other than the one with just a hand-written "1.0." I've got the manual for the valve and it looks easy enough to get into to see what's stamped on the BLFC button. I'll get that figured out tonight.

Reach4

Reaction score
According to the manual, there is a 1.0 GPM BLFC. So let's presume you have one for now. For that, I get this:
img_1.jpg

That 4 minute BF (brine fill) should give 4 gallons if the BLFC=1.0. Do a sanity check if you do not check the button itself. Does it look like 4 gallons? If you find that the BLFC is lower, then the BF would be adjusted up proportionally. So, if you had 0.5, BF would become 8. If 0.25, then 16. If 0.125, then 32.

Moving to 5 or 4 pounds per cuft of resin is possible. That would save some salt but use more water. The 6 pounds is a pretty for many users.

Sigo

Reaction score
According to the manual, there is a 1.0 GPM BLFC. So let's presume you have one for now. For that, I get this:
View attachment 29635
That 4 minute BF (brine fill) should give 4 gallons if the BLFC=1.0. Do a sanity check if you do not check the button itself. Does it look like 4 gallons? If you find that the BLFC is lower, then the BF would be adjusted up proportionally. So, if you had 0.5, BF would become 8. If 0.25, then 16. If 0.125, then 32.

Moving to 5 or 4 pounds per cuft of resin is possible. That would save some salt but use more water. The 6 pounds is a pretty for many users.
Thanks Reach4. This is helpful input. I appreciate it. I'll give this a shot and then test for hardness in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Sigo

Reaction score
At times, we will have additional people in the house and, therefore, increased use of water. Let's say I had five people living in the house. If I understand correctly, the system, since it is metered, will automatically adjust and backwash the resin at the appropriate time... correct?

Reach4

Reaction score
At times, we will have additional people in the house and, therefore, increased use of water. Let's say I had five people living in the house. If I understand correctly, the system, since it is metered, will automatically adjust and backwash the resin at the appropriate time... correct?
To a point. The controller computes how much capacity is used so far. With the above example settings, each night at 2 PM, it will regenerate if there is less than 160 gallons of capacity remaining.

You can take action yourself if you expect visitors.
  • Queueing a Regeneration:
1. Press the Extra Cycle button to schedule a regen to happen at 2 AM tonight.
img_2.jpg
The service icon (faucet icon) will flash to indicate that a regeneration is queued.
2. To cancel a queued regeneration, press the Extra Cycle button.
  • Regenerating Immediately
Press and hold the Extra Cycle button for five seconds.​

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks