Recommended closet flange and a new tub (update need install help)

Users who are viewing this thread

ivwshane

Reaction score
Here is the tub drain kit I have and I'm trying to figure out where I should place the gasket that goes between the drain and metal drain gate (probably not the right term). Videos I watched showed that the gasket goes between the ABS fitting and the bottom of the tub and then you use plumbers putty on the top side. The problem is that the putty directions say not to use it on ABS.

What's the correct way to do this?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 176

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Seal is between the tub and the bottom shoe, with the rubber seal.
You can use stainless putty for the strainer. Done right, the putty isn't even needed.

ivwshane

Reaction score
Seal is between the tub and the bottom shoe, with the rubber seal.
You can use stainless putty for the strainer. Done right, the putty isn't even needed.

I can't get it right, it keeps leaking.
I am now trying the seal where you said and adding Teflon tape as well as silicon to the metal threaded drain.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The seal is below the tub, and above the shoe.
Adding tape and Silicone is a bad idea. The threads should be clean so that the grid drain can thread down and clamp securely.

accord_wild_03.jpg

I never use tape, and I never use Silicone.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Reaction score
The seal is below the tub, and above the shoe.
Adding tape and Silicone is a bad idea. The threads should be clean so that the grid drain can thread down and clamp securely.

accord_wild_03.jpg

I never use tape, and I never use Silicone.

That's how I have it. My concern is that the metal drain that screws into the shoe, when tightened scratches the tub. Normally the putty would be there to prevent that but the putty I have on hand specifically states not to use it on ABS. So instead of that I used 100% silicon caulk. So far no leaks.
Am I good? How do you not scratch the tub and yet still screw it down right enough that it won't leak?

ivwshane

Reaction score
If it's not leaking, sounds like you're done.

Good. I just wanted to make sure what I did wasn't one of those things that will work now but will eventually fail. I'd rather do it right while I can easily access thing then when I'm done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks